Jörgen

You do as You please

QuoteVirtuemart is dead ?

Where did You get that idea ?

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

AH

Oh dear

2 pages in for responses and you come up with "Vm is dead" - that is handy.

You must do what you must do.

If you implement things into live with no prior testing - don't shout at the forum to do any remedial work for you in your expected timescales. 

QuoteNo news, no correction, no solution

Clearly this free support forum is not meeting your needs.

If your store is broken and you cannot fix it yourself, see if you can raise a paid VM ticket - and pay for someone to support you in this.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Jörgen

This plugin is not guaranteed to work, but you could give it a try, n.b not on a live site.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

pcsimple26420

Jörgen:
Hello thanks for the plugin but unfortunately it's always the same problem the administrator never received the mail indicating a new user has registered so he can only know if loged in the backend and see new user...

DadoO : Sure an update who breaks all that was perfectly working and developers who wants money to make it work...All is gone... :'( >:(
I am remaking my site with Workpress and Woocomerce and there is two plugins that allows to make what wee need it's :woocommerce-memberships and weadown.com_restrict-content...
Hope they find a working solution rapidly....

GJC Web Design

QuoteSure an update who breaks all that was perfectly working and developers who wants money to make it work...All is gone... :'( >:(
I am remaking my site with Workpress and Woocomerce and there is two plugins that allows to make what wee need it's :woocommerce-memberships and weadown.com_restrict-content...

Bizarre logic
Time and effort to build in WP/Woocommerce + woocommerce-memberships @ $200

revert to VM3.8.4 if this worked for u and await the bug fix for 3.8.6
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

pinochico

Don't find logic from user, that posted there :D
And Don't find logic from user, that must upgraded to new unstable version exatly after new version is out :D

The last month I send a couple of problem with VM 3.8.6 from this forum to my client and he confirm - don't upgrade virtuemart.

Maybe people don't know the basic true from IT world (I use 15 years) - if something function - don't change it
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

sirius

Quote from: pinochico on December 08, 2020, 16:08:14 PM
The last month I send a couple of problem with VM 3.8.6 from this forum to my client and he confirm - don't upgrade virtuemart.
I would agree to this it was an RC1 release and not an official one that resolve an xss vulnerability and published by the core team on the official VM website itself.
https://virtuemart.net/news/502-security-release-virtuemart-3-8-6-closing-an-xss-vulnerability

So I guess the version validation process has been respected, otherwise 3.8.6 would not have been released in public mode.
IMHO
J3.10.12 | PHP 7.4.33 + APC + memcached + Opcode
VM Prod : 3.8.6 | VM Test : 4.0.12.10777

Jörgen

@sirius You can see this anyway you want.

Upgrading a complex software as VM is not an easy task. The testers try to check anything that has been changed. It would be deal to test EVERYTHING in EVERY release. But this is a tradeoff against time and resources.

People have reported issues with various issues on the new VM version and some of them are solved by downgrading again. The funny thing is that some of the reported issues does not seem to have fixed by a downgrade. This would imply that there is another issue with PHP or Joomla upgrade.

Besides this, there WILL be bugs in ANY software and it will NEVER reach zero. In a complex software, depending of where the code error is located, there is a good chance that the majority of users never even experience any faulty behaviour. I am not defending bad releases in general, merely pointing out the fact that testing all scenarios is very hard to achieve. We can take JOOMLA as an example, they have released multiple versions very close to each other, solving and resolving issues and faults. VM is no exception and I personally avoid to update complex components in a live site without checking if my user scenario still works as expected. Validating code is not an easy task.

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

AH

I have to agree with Jorgen

If you have an important service - ensure you have done all the testing first on your particular configuration using a standalone test environment before updating your mission critical system.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure compatibility and error free operation - you should not expect that the third party has performed this and removed the requirement for you to do anything yourself.

Part of using the free software is that you share in your experience and feedback - For others reading this post - that does not mean that you should scream at the devs when you have loaded code directly into live and borked your business!
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

sirius

Quote from: AH on December 09, 2020, 10:44:48 AM
I have to agree with Jorgen

I agree too
I just want to note the fact that the publication of the resolution of the security bug will have more prompted the users to carry out the update.
But it is of course the responsibility of each one to make his own test and backup beforehand.

Quote from: Jörgen on December 09, 2020, 10:35:31 AM
I am not defending bad releases in general, merely pointing out the fact that testing all scenarios is very hard to achieve.

Very agree too, so let's hope this bug gets fixed eventually. :)

AH

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

sirius

So it was a bug indeed rather a mishap than a bug

Trivial as a simple boolean Fixed by GJC
https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=146092.msg519513#msg519513

I've tested it and activation process is now back to normal when you choose "Activation-auto" in Joomla users parameters.

So great thanks to him. :D

GJC Web Design

Just some further info -- I discussed with Max this change ( it is reversed now in the soon to be released VM3.8.8 ) and it was reported to him that the logic had been swapped by Joomla and that is why the change was made on VM3.8.6.
As discussed above it is really difficult to test every change and function because the dev/test team is quite small. Especially edge cases like user verification.. none of my clients use it and none have ever asked for it and this applies I think for all the testers.
So of course apologies as it appears the initial info was incorrect.
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation