News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Sorting products in multiple categories

Started by ermes, November 29, 2019, 12:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ermes

Hi forum, this is an old question but without answers: how can i manually sort products that are in more than one category?
I suppose that it isn't possible to do because sorting process is based on porderding record (in #__virtuemart_products table) that is unique for all categories. There is an extension that can do it?
In the future versions it's possible to add a teble (es: #__virtuemart_product_ordering with virtuemart_product_id/virtuemart_category_id/pordering columns) and use it for sorting products in multiple category?
I hope in yours reply!

ermes

Searching into forum i can see that the "sorting" is a taboo topic  :D

AH

It is not taboo

Product "ordering" is configured by category with all products showing in that category.

People generally do not want to force a product to be in a fixed position across all the categories in which it may be displayed as ordering tends to reflect the items in each category.

Therefore such a feature is not supported natively.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Studio 42

It's not right.
category>products Ordering is the field 'ordering' from #__virtuemart_product_categories
So it should not be a problem to assign ordering for each category.
My component VmBePro (in last releases) have a tree view, so you can manage and move the category>products and change the ordering(automatically or manually) using ajax
Note :pordering is for parent>child products ordering

AH

Thought that is what I said

Ordering for a product is by product/product_category

Assigning an order for different categories at product level seems odd, when you do not know the relative or content of products for each category to which the product belongs

Or have I misunderstood this whole thing?

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Studio 42

Quote from: AH on November 30, 2019, 10:40:00 AM

Or have I misunderstood this whole thing?
No, It was to clarify that "pordering" and "ordering" is not the same thing(for ermes) and 2 differents tables in the DB.

ermes

Thank you for yours replies. I have see after that there is the table. But another question: how can I sort the products by category in root level view? I have to assign the canonical category to the products?

Milbo

In the root level view, category 0? Interesting point.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

ermes

pinochico

I don't see any bussines benefit for eshop and customers, why it should be.
You can explain more why you require such a function?

I have not seen anywhere in the eshop (for example Amazon) that I would like to see products differently sorted by price, brand, name or date (news), stock, action.
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

Studio 42

ermes us a main category and set this as the shop entry.