News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Simple modern template?

Started by EvanGR, June 05, 2019, 11:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvanGR

Hello,

I am looking for a simple modern template, built with a recent VM 3 version in mind.

I want something simple and lightweight, so I can build on it with my own features.

Most commercial templates are very complex, loaded with plugins and legacy code.

Thank you.

StefanSTS

Hi,

are Hera, Zeus and Horme from olympianthemes.com already too heavy?
That would be my choice for light weight.

For some shops I use my own simple template, build mostly via the Joomla tutorial on Joomla's website.
So if you want light light, I suggest building one from scratch that you can reuse for other projects.

Stefan
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

PRO

Quote from: EvanGR on June 05, 2019, 11:18:26 AM

I want something simple and lightweight, so I can build on it with my own features.

You should take a standard joomla template. and customize it. Remove everything, and start from there.

Studio 42

Quote from: EvanGR on June 05, 2019, 11:18:26 AM
Hello,

I am looking for a simple modern template, built with a recent VM 3 version in mind.

Most commercial templates are very complex, loaded with plugins and legacy code.

Thank you.
Nice, someone that understand that commercial do not mean optimized template
You have BS3 blank http://demo.t3-framework.org/joomla30/index.php/en/ but this use t3 framework
https://github.com/gsuez/master-bootstrap-3
The two template are not responsive and styled for Virtuemart, you need to create your own bootstrap 3 overides.
Note that in some case, one script can slow the full shop.
In my case, disqus comment slow down the pagespeed and my note is on mobile only 50/100 but category have 90/100
The missing 10 points are because the needed javascripts and virtuemart javascript loading in the header.
If you have facebook + google analytics script, don't expect to have a great score, especially on mobiles.

EvanGR

After some research, I find it difficult to find quality (+efficient) templates for Virtuemart.

The default VM template (vmBeez3) seems too prehistoric to use as a base for a new site.

Most commercial templates are bloated to look full of features, but are bogged down by heavy configuration/maintenance complexity, and high bandwidth demands (3MB+ product pages.... = crap pagespeed, user experience, and google appreciation).

A large number of templates are outdated, seem to haven't been updated in a year or more (e.g. the Hera, Zeus and Horme from olympianthemes.com that was suggested by a fellow forum member in this thread).

I don't have a single candidate right now for a template that I may consider for the e-shop I am working on.

Still searching....

Jörgen

As I am using Hera myself and therefore I do not really understand your search. Have You some example what kind of of functionality you are to looking for ? Otherwise it looks like a mission for You to DIY. Maybe someone else here has an example of a suitable template.

mvh

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

StefanSTS

If you want the fastest template that fits exactly to a given design, that can be easily build for you. Only the fastest and best can differ a lot depending on your requirements.
It won't come for 30 Euros a year on a subscription though.

So all depends on the requirements that you haven't painted on a bigger canvas yet.
--
Stefan Schumacher

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

Studio 42

"I tried to switch to the bs3 in mv config, but this break the whole shop !
Is this so complicate for VM team to simply add some responsive classes? The logic is same for bootstrap 2,3 and 4"

Sorry, Studio, I wanted to hit Quote and modified your post by mistake.
Stefan

StefanSTS

Quote from: Studio 42 on July 03, 2019, 04:49:33 AM
"I tried to switch to the bs3 in mv config, but this break the whole shop !
Is this so complicate for VM team to simply add some responsive classes? The logic is same for bootstrap 2,3 and 4"

This setting is totally useless. It is not VirtueMart's work to set these things, it is the Templater's work.
I hope it gets removed soon. Or at least it should be moved to hidden config.

--
Stefan Schumacher

Kuubs

Quote from: EvanGR on July 02, 2019, 12:51:40 PM
After some research, I find it difficult to find quality (+efficient) templates for Virtuemart.

The default VM template (vmBeez3) seems too prehistoric to use as a base for a new site.

Most commercial templates are bloated to look full of features, but are bogged down by heavy configuration/maintenance complexity, and high bandwidth demands (3MB+ product pages.... = crap pagespeed, user experience, and google appreciation).

A large number of templates are outdated, seem to haven't been updated in a year or more (e.g. the Hera, Zeus and Horme from olympianthemes.com that was suggested by a fellow forum member in this thread).

I don't have a single candidate right now for a template that I may consider for the e-shop I am working on.

Still searching....

Thats unfortunately how the templates nowadays work. They stuff it full of crap with you probably don't use, and don't optimize the template at all. Everything gets loaded even if u don't use it.

I agree with the poster above. Start with a blank template and work your way out. Takes a while but at least you have a fully customized template that suit your needs.

I always search for the BL4NK template for Joomla.

EvanGR

I also find it very unfortunate that many of the VM templates I have tried, still load mootools and mootools-more (a few hundred KB of obsolete scripts).