News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Can't show multiple prices for multiple shopper groups

Started by themartinbailey, September 07, 2018, 21:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themartinbailey

I'm creating a website where 'Public' users will be charged default prices, and 'Registered' users will be charged a 'Members' shopper group price.

I want it so that whoever logs in they'll see both standard price AND the members price. I've played around with this for a few hours now, and I seem to be able to get one or other to display, but not both. I've tried creating child products, but found this confusing as you end up having two items with the same product details in your list.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that'd be appreciated.

Am using VM 3.2.14 on Joomla 3.8.12.

Thanks in advance!

GJC Web Design

Out of the box I doubt it

are the prices a standard discount? e.g. - 30%.. then u could just do it in the display

otherwise I guess you have to do a DB fetch or the function  loadProductPrices($productId,$virtuemart_shoppergroup_ids,$front) or function getRawProductPrices(&$product,$quantity,$virtuemart_shoppergroup_ids,$front,$withParent=0)
and see what works best
but if u have taxes, discounts etc you may have problems
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

themartinbailey

Thanks for the quickly reply.

There's no issue with taxes. They display/sell everything including tax, and delivery is free within mainland UK, so that's not an issue either...

Oh well - just have to look for something else. It's a shame, as I've looked at Virtuemart several times over the years, and I've always come unstuck on something that seems relatively basic.

Jörgen

Calling this basic is maybe to go a bit to far. Showing public and maybe logged in prices is probably not so hard to create, but soon there will be other shoppergroups and should these prices also be shown or not ?
As GJC said using these functions in a template override could be used to find out the prices for another shopper group (guest_users) and the displaying it before displayong the actual prices belonging to your shoppergroup.
Not logged in user display their not logged in price and have to search for another specified user group, (logged_in_users) and then display the logged in prices. This assumes that the logged in users all will
belong to the same shopper group.

Not logged in users can not know of any other groups, what group should I pick for the comparison ? You have to decide what to use, in this case logged _in_users.

Logged in users know of course their own user group, but this should be exactly the same that is used for comparison when a user is not logged in, the logged _in_users, user group.

This could be a fairly easy task if you limit yourself to two usergroups used for this prupose. Otherwise it could get very complex when allowing multiple user groups.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

GJC Web Design

As with anything no size fits all .. to my knowledge this is the first time anyone has asked for this functionality...
I can think of some other "things" that would be nice to have in VM but if only used by a tiny minority then other innovations will take precedence.

Do u know of any other cart that can as standard show prices from multiple shopper groups? I doubt it.

But as I said it can almost certainly be coded as a template over ride - the functions are there: if you haven't the coding skill then there are plenty of members here who have and charge reasonable rates to do such tasks incl. myself.
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

SunPoweredProductions

Quote from: GJC Web Design on September 08, 2018, 19:57:43 PM
As with anything no size fits all .. to my knowledge this is the first time anyone has asked for this functionality...

I'm on page 2 of 92 for the search "Shopper Group" and I've seen about 5 requests for this feature dating back to 2015.

Quote from: GJC Web Design on September 08, 2018, 19:57:43 PM
Do u know of any other cart that can as standard show prices from multiple shopper groups? I doubt it.

As far as I can tell, both WooCommerce and Shopify have ways to display Retail and Wholesale prices together.

The idea is that you show both prices to give the default customer an incentive to sign up or otherwise qualify for a membership to get better pricing.  I think it is a feature worth considering.  Thank you for the advice on a custom method to display both prices.

diri

hm. Sorry but, I've never seen wholesale prices when my status is B2C customer.

Showing wholesales prices takes merchant almost any chance to achieve reasonable prices. IMNSHO.

AH

"The idea is that you show both prices to give the default customer an incentive to sign up or otherwise qualify for a membership to get better pricing.  I think it is a feature worth considering.  Thank you for the advice on a custom method to display both prices. "

You can change the templates and code to do what you want.

IMHO Showing a lower price to a guest shopper is an incentive for them to go to another ecom shop - rather than baiting them to sign up.

But - this is my personal opinion and it is possible for you to code VM to do what you require.

I doubt this will be top of the list for inclusion in core
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

SunPoweredProductions

Quote from: diri on June 14, 2019, 06:39:30 AM
hm. Sorry but, I've never seen wholesale prices when my status is B2C customer.

Showing wholesales prices takes merchant almost any chance to achieve reasonable prices. IMNSHO.

Pardon the nomenclature. By "Wholesale", I don't mean the actual wholesale price at which the products are acquired. Of course a merchant would not want to show their customers what their markup is. I work with a supplier who offers "Retail" prices to guest customers and "Wholesale" prices to customers who pay a membership fee. My apologies for the confusion.

AH

Ah - that is a very different proposition and similar to Amazon Prime offering.

As GJC stated - this would require a small amount of bespoke coding to achieve
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0