News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Child / subcategories looping???

Started by BearWood, September 09, 2017, 20:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BearWood

Hi,

I have a running virtuemart webshop in a joomla environment (everything updated to the latest version)
I have now encountered a very strange thing that's never happened before...
When I create a category within a category (child or subcategory, don't know the difference) it shows up on the site, but when I try top click it open, it just loops back to the page I'm on (the page with all the subcategories)
The weird thing is, the older subcategories do work fine, it's only the new ones that won't work, all the settings seem the same...

I'm lost!!
Please help??

Thank you in advance!

Regards
Evi

Jörgen

This sounds strange, please test with template protostar. Also check out the new settings under configuration. Could be misconfigured.

One more thing, I am also running the latest version (2016), can You see what version I am using ?????

Latest does not cut it.....

This is an old post but still worth reading:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=79799.0

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

BearWood

Hi

Sorry for missing this, again! I will definitely try to remember for future reference!!!

my version is VM 3.2.4, joomla 3.7.5
I updated everything quite recently, so this might have something to do with it...

you can check out the problem on
https://www.bearwood.be/index.php/webshop/tuin-dier/tuinhuizen/tuinhuizen

there you can see several subcategories; the subcategory 'camping pod' and 'garden cube' work fine, they're "old"; but the other ones I created are new and they just loop back to the same page, all the settings in VM categories are the same for both; can't find the cause....

Thank you for your help!

regards
Evi

BearWood

I also tried with 2 different templates, doesn't change anything, the problem remains...

Jörgen

Start by turning off SEF and see if that makes it work.

regards

m.v.h Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

BearWood

Thanks! that did the trick!

However,  isn't turning SEF off going to negatively influence my google rating??
if so how can I workaround this?

thank you!

regards
evi

Jörgen

There must be something wrong with Your SEF settings. You have maybe products and categories that have the same alias and therefore get the same URL and loop back. Check to see if that is the case. I remember a setting adding -detail or iomething similar to the product alias, to make it unique from the categories.

I everything works without SEF turned on, teher must be some config issue for the SEF left.

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

BearWood

Okay so I have looked further and this seems to have sth to do with the language files in VM
2 or 3 updates ago the language files started giving problems with articles not displaying etc...
the situation was resolved then by setting joomla language to dutch; vm main shop language to english; and vm as a multilingual shop with both languages (dutch and english)
this displayed everything correctly

However some categories and articles (older ones) now display a british flag between parenthesis; but as said, everything worked fine up to now...

Now the problem seems to have sth to do with the new subcategories I'm creating and the language files; because if I set my main VM shop language to Dutch the subcategories suddenly work fine; however everything else gets jumbled up again, so I can't leave it like that...

So in conclusion... when turning off Joomla SEF OR changing VM language to Dutch both separately solve the problem --> where do I fix it??

Thanks already for all the help!!

regards
evi

Jörgen

As I said, I would look for duplicate aliases (product-category). Your assumption that this is a language issue is probably correct. Fixing the language problem probably fixes the SEF issue.

Someone more familiar to multianguage issues should take a look at this.

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

BearWood

Hi,

I checked but there are definitely no categories and products that have the same name or SEF alias...

I also when through my language tables, but as I have no idea what I am looking for it's pretty much hopeless...  :-[

Do you have any idea which language file I should narrow it down to or what kind of problem I am looking for

e.g. I checked both the virtuemart SEF files; both the dutch and the english version; and I don't see anything out of the ordinary...

Much obliged

Regards
Evi

BearWood

In addition it seems that when I turn of the SEF in Joomla, while it solves the problem for my new categories; it seems to shift the problem to my side menu; that loops to the homepage overtime  :o
???
Going crazyyyy