News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Fixing a corrupted shop

Started by pierref, December 08, 2005, 16:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierref

Hello,

I tried to add one category to the shop, and I had to correct manually two tables of the database: mos_vm_category and mos_vm_category_xref...

Regards.
Pierre François
Antwerpen (Belgium)

pierref

QuoteI had to correct manually two tables of the database: mos_vm_category and mos_vm_category_xref

And since I did that, I am no longer able to edit the categories inside the products... I hope this will be easy to fix. Can anybody help me please?

This is what I did: I tried to add a new category through the backend. That categroy appeared to have be not empty: the number of items listed in the d-tree along that new categroy was =  the sum of all the other the categories already existing. The d-tree was no longer working (loop in the javascript). I edited manually through phpMyAdmin the table mos_vm_category were the new record apeared with category_id = 0. Comparing with the other records, I understood it had to be = 6.

In the same way, I deduced that in the table mos_vm_category_xref, the record with  category_child_id = 0 must be  category_child_id = 6.

I would be very happy to know where I did something wrong.

Thanks.
Pierre François
Antwerpen (Belgium)

Soeren

Hello pierre,

the chances are good that your installation is corrupted. I've tried my best to upgrade, but I'm not sure wether your problems now are caused by a wrong database structure or missing / wrong files.

ciao, soeren
The future of eCommerce: VirtueMart & Joomla!
http://virtuemart.net

pierref

Hello Soeren

I am ready to re-install, but I remember, once I was trying to re-install some module, I saw a message saying that that module was already installed. I obviously could uninstall the whole stuff, delete evrything in some directories (which ones) and re-install it, but two questions are raising:
a) will it be enough to get rid of bad files?
b) will I lose some information like the images in /components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/? (this happened last time to me)
Can you advise me what is the best way of restoring the shop? Now, it is running, but I am no longer able to create/delete categories, and I can't edit the category of the products (the category box doesn't appear on the screen no more) when I am editing a product.

Anyway, it could be an interesting feature (for the wishlist) that you could re-install corrupted modules through the the backend instead of fixing everything manually through FTP. Especially for the Windows-minded people, where re-install is the daily bread.

Thank you for your advice.
Pierre François
Antwerpen (Belgium)

pierref

I want to reinstall my VirtueMart shop because the components (I hope not the database structure) seem to be corrupted.

I hope there is no other writable file/directory I have to backup. Tell me, please.

After backing up the files in  /components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/ and the database, I want to delete empty next directories:

/components/com_virtuemart
/modules/vm_transmenu
/administrator/components/com_virtuemart

I will also delete the files:

/modules/mod_virtuemart_*.php
/modules/mod_virtuemart_*.xml

PLEASE STOP ME if this is not correct.

Thank you.
Pierre François
Antwerpen (Belgium)

Soeren

Why you want to delete them? You could overwrite them using the Manual Installation package...
What you must check is the database structure.

ciao, Soeren
The future of eCommerce: VirtueMart & Joomla!
http://virtuemart.net

pierref

Quote from: Soeren on December 15, 2005, 15:05:46 PM
Why you want to delete them? You could overwrite them using the Manual Installation package...
What you must check is the database structure.
Happy to hear about that. I'm currently busy to check the database, but I didn't find anything wrong in the database structure up to now.
Pierre François
Antwerpen (Belgium)

pierref

Quote from: Soeren on December 15, 2005, 15:05:46 PM
Sören, I deduce it is sufficient to copy the files. I mean: I suppose it is NOT NECESSARY to run any command from the browser like in the manual installation of a new shop. Please stop me before destroying more stuff in my production environnement.

Thank you anyway.
Pierre François
Antwerpen (Belgium)