News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Cart autosave functionality

Started by guptam1969, December 17, 2015, 02:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guptam1969

I am using VM 3.0.12 on Joomla 3.4.6 on apache linux with php 5.5.9
My site is www.rajcomics.com
my question is:
Does the Standard VM save user cart information automatically?
What are the trigger points for the cart to be saved? Is it whenever an item is added or updated in the cart by user?
In my own testing the cart seems to be getting saved automatically. however many of my users are complaining that they are loosing their cart when they revisit the site.
I have googled on this topic but found no information.
strangely there is a commercial auto save plugin available for VM3 which makes me wonder if the stock implementation doesnot have this feature fully working.
The above question is for logged in users...however i am also curious as to the behaviour for customers who have not logged in yet. Does VM save their cart via cookies etc...so if the same customer visit the sites from same computer and browser after a few days to find those items in cart?

I would further like to add the following peculiar behavior:
The auto save functionality works in my testing only if I use VM login. The joomla login must be present as a module on the page somewhere but in a unpublished state. If I remove the joomla login module altogether then auto cart save stops working. Likewise if I use joomla login to login to site then again cart gets lost. In these two scenarios if I monitor mysql cart table the prob mostly seems to be that the cart saved in the db table gets clobbered at the time of login. So apparantely the save works but the load is faulty.

Milbo

"Does the stock VM save user cart information automatically?"

I am sorry, I do not understand this. The stock cannot save anything.

The cart saver is only active for logged in users. It is not written for guests, for that you may use the 3rd party plugin.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Jörgen

Hello Milbo

I think he means standard VM version (stock = unmodified, standard .. )

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

guptam1969

Yes I meant Standard when I said Stock. Have edited the post now :)

So as I understand: the cart should saver work for logged in user and for that one should not need any third party plugin.

In that case there is apparently a bug that the saved cart gets clobbered if one uses standard joomla login. It works fine when the VM login module is used. Is that a reported bug or something unique to me for perhaps some other mis-configuration in my store?
The standard save cart plugin is also intelligent to add whatever items are in the cart while the user is not logged in (is a guest)  to those that exist in the saved cart when the user logs in to his/her account....which is how it should be..so that is good.

GJC Web Design

why are you using the std. Joomla login?  I disable this on all my sites..
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

jenkinhill

Unpublish or hide the Joomla login module.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

guptam1969

thanks all for their response.
I may summarize then:
VM 3 supports auto cart save functionality out of the box and no 3rd party plugin is required to achieve that.
Further joomla login must be unpublished and only VM login should be used.