News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Child Products Question

Started by jared.dti, September 18, 2015, 17:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jared.dti

Hello All, First time on the forum. We have a client with a large VM install and she is having some issues as noted below.

--- From Client ----

I need to speak with somebody who has knowledge of our current Virtuemart version and find out how to accomplish what I am trying to do....

1.   Cut down on the amount of redundant pages on our website by...
2.   Adding child products as variants with their own checkout button
Currently Virtuemart won't allow me to do this... it seems that this version of Virtuemart doesn't have the same interface as the old where you could simply add child products.  The current custom fields cannot be customized to include the pertinent information needed during the checkout process for shipping prices.

Right now certain products are tagged for different shipping methods so they have custom weight attributes, which I'm not able to input.  I would like to know if I can pull a current product in as a child product variant which holds on to all of that product information, and can be selected from a drop-down list within a parent page.  Right now each product is listed individually with duplicate product information that can simply be listed as product info under a parent item or category.  Right now this is an SEO nightmare and can be fixed if I can add one parent item and have a drop down menu with child products which will have size/price variants. 

--- End From Client ---

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what could be going on here? Or to where I can find documentation to accomplish what shes trying to do. Our VM developer quit on us and I have inherited his work but I have no freaking clue how to use VM software and this client isn't the patient type to let me get upto speed so I'm reaching out to the community for some help...

Please Help

jenkinhill

I'm reaching out to the community for some help...

Help won't be forthcoming if you don't provide the J/VM versions being used and the site URL. 
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

jared.dti

GJC Web Design

First off your VM version is wildly out of date and insecure  -  the current is 2.6.20

Just think how many changes have been made in the 14 versions since yours...

So first you should experiment with the latest version to see what the child products can do ..

your link just leads to a 403 error
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation