News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

export products VM2 site 1 --> import VM3 site 2

Started by DeRo77, March 09, 2015, 18:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeRo77

Hi Guys,

For a friend i'm asked to build a new auto-parts website on a new domain, so i did (joomla 3 + VM3)  He wants me to migrate all the products from an old site (joomla 2.5 VM2) on another domain.

Anybody have some good thoughs about a export import solution?

thnx!

Dennis.

jenkinhill

Make a copy of the old domain & install VM3 on it (it works fine on J2.5), then import the VM tables and VM images to the new J3/VM3 installation. But there is no need to go to J3 unless you have a very good reason.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

DeRo77

Just to be sure that i understand you correctly:

- Use the VM migrate tool to go from VM2 --> VM3 on the old site

- Then from the migrated tables i make an SQL dump (can you tell me which tables? to be sure..)
- Copy the VM images

- And import them in to the new domain.

Sounds like a fair solution to me, thnx

jenkinhill

As always test on a backup of the site

Just install VM3 on the old site using Joomla's extensions manager - the database and files will automatically be updated. Normally if I were updating to J3 I would update that site to the J3 version, upload the J template to use and update any other modules/plugins/components as necessary rather that cop the db to a new site.

The VM tables are obvious from the table name!  You will most likely need to change the table prefix to that of the new db. Drop the VM tables from the J3/VM3 site and immediately import the required tables.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

nonnymo

I inherited a rather messed up Joomla 2.5 website which has Virtuemart 2. Neither Joomla nor Virtuemart was on the latest versions. I updated Joomla to 2.5.28 and then attempted to migrate VM3 which completely broke it and I had to revert back to VM2 which I updated to the latest version. I have now set up a Joomla 3 site in a sub-directory with VM3 installed. Since I can't seem to install VM3 on the old system without breaking it, I need to get the products from the VM2 site imported into the new Joomla 3, VM3 site. I just need the products - nothing else as I've already set up the categories, etc.

So if anyone can tell me how I can get the products from the Joomla 2.5, VM2 site into the Joomla 3.4, VM3 site I would be very greatful.

As an additional note, it is a multi language site, further complicating matters.

nonnymo

I inherited a rather messed up Joomla 2.5 website which has Virtuemart 2. Neither Joomla nor Virtuemart was on the latest versions. I updated Joomla to 2.5.28 and then attempted to migrate VM3 which completely broke it and I had to revert back to VM2 which I updated to the latest version. I have now set up a Joomla 3 site in a sub-directory with VM3 installed. Since I can't seem to install VM3 on the old system without breaking it, I need to get the products from the VM2 site imported into the new Joomla 3, VM3 site. I just need the products - nothing else as I've already set up the categories, etc.

So if anyone can tell me how I can get the products from the Joomla 2.5, VM2 site into the Joomla 3.4, VM3 site I would be very greatful.

As an additional note, it is a multi language site, further complicating matters.

GJC Web Design

you can just copy across all the product related tables to the new install then run the table updater in the VM admin tools

But what goes wrong with the VM2.6->Vm3 install -- have found this part very stable.. (normally it is the Joomla migrate to J3 that causes grief)
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

nonnymo

Thank you GJC Web Design, but how do I copy across all the product related tables. I am very familiar with Joomla but not with Virtuemart so I have no idea how to copy the VM product related tables. Could you explain?

As far as the update from VM2 to VM3, it could be that I tried doing this in a version of VM less than 2.6 which may be what caused the problem but even now that I've updated it in the old system to the latest version of VM2 I don't want to take the chance of breaking the system again by trying to migrate to VM3 as it is a live site. As I mentioned the whole site was quite a mess with, among other things, 3 different language extensions competing with each other and a host of other problems so I wanted to start as clean as possible with the new system which is why I've already set up everything VM except the products from scratch and just want to get those transfered.

So if you explain how to copy across the product related tables, that would be great.

GJC Web Design

this is just basic database manipulation .. just google it -- use any DB tool like phpmyadmin etc

as to updates? Why are u working on a live site? Clone  it and off you go .. break it  .. make another..
you should never be attempting upgrades and changes on a live site..
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation