News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

VM3 release?

Started by wajcha001, June 10, 2014, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wajcha001

Hello everyone :)

As only one bug has been posted 4 days ago about 2.9.6, and lots of people have done testing with 2.9.6 and J 3.3 does this mean a stable version of VM for Joomla 3.3 will be finally released?

Thank you
Waj.

jenkinhill

Have you tested 2.9.6 to see how stable it is for your requirements?
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

wajcha001

Hi Jenkinhill :)

yes, me and my friend we both were testing 2.9.x series from 2.9.0 up to current 2.9.6 release (see some of my previous posts). 2.9.6 has been released 7-8 days ago so, this is why I'm asking :).
So, can we expect another Release Candidate or should we wait for an official stable release? Or can we use 2.9.6 for live site?

Thank you

lindapowers

Quote from: wajcha001 on June 10, 2014, 11:26:59 AM
Hi Jenkinhill :)

yes, me and my friend we both were testing 2.9.x series from 2.9.0 up to current 2.9.6 release (see some of my previous posts). 2.9.6 has been released 7-8 days ago so, this is why I'm asking :).
So, can we expect another Release Candidate or should we wait for an official stable release? Or can we use 2.9.6 for live site?

Thank you

Developers also solve many issues by themselves or in contact with other developers or testers via skype, so not everything gets published here, there is a lot of work in the shadow.

What is obvious is that a stable release is comming soon, stable releases are good since everyone downloads them and uses them so most bugs become public, however IMO the short releases after the stable ones are the best ones since the real issues of "stable ones" are fixed.

If 2.9.6 works fine for you, just use it, we have used many "test" releases in our live shop.

My recommendation which I will get flamed for would be to tell you to wait not for the stable release but the short releases after the stable one, but if everyone did that no bugs will ever get fixed ;)

Regards

wajcha001

Quote from: lindapowers on June 10, 2014, 12:00:14 PM
Developers also solve many issues by themselves or in contact with other developers or testers via skype, so not everything gets published here, there is a lot of work in the shadow.

Yes I'm sure about this also me and my friend we both also fixed some bugs on our development enviroment. Some of them were posted by me, some has been posted by other users here on a forum and finally most of them (all?) has been fixed with next releases 2.9.2, 2.9.3, ... 4 ... 5 and 2.9.6.

What is obvious is that a stable release is comming soon, stable releases are good since everyone downloads them and uses them so most bugs become public, however IMO the short releases after the stable ones are the best ones since the real issues of "stable ones" are fixed.

If 2.9.6 works fine for you, just use it, we have used many "test" releases in our live shop.

Once stable released more people can actually report bugs and short releases like 3.0.1, 3.0.2 or 3.0a, 3.0b in my opinion would speed up the testing work. If I good remember the same happend to virtuemart 2.0 and ... LOL ... I were then in the same position waiting with release of the site for my cousin (he finally decided to go with RC and after a couple of days the stable has been released and after then another fixed releases appeared).
At the moment people see Joomla 2.5.x compatible, they see "download 2.6.6" on virtuemart.net front page. Sure, some of them use it as they decided to go with 2.5.x. BUT in fact most people use Joomla 3.x due the shit magic "responsive" or if anyone prefer "mobile-ready" word propagated on joomla.org.

My recommendation which I will get flamed for would be to tell you to wait not for the stable release but the short releases after the stable one, but if everyone did that no bugs will ever get fixed ;)

Exactly! So, why the VirtueMart 3 can't be released asap? My friend would like to go with the testing release as he said it works fine but many people here says "stable release soon" so, actually I don't know - go live or wait yet few days?. What worries me is that nothing happens at the moment. 2.9.6 has been released a week ago, no new bugs reported here on forum (like I mentioend above I'm sure that lots of happens behind the scene) and no new RC released. This is why I would like to know if stable go or we can expect another RC?

jenkinhill

Yes, I would also probably use 2.9.6 or the latest version from SVN if it seems to work OK for your site and if any extra plugins that you need (eg payment or shipping) have also been fixed to work on J3.x. 

It is difficult for the team to fully test a beta or RC for every expected real live site situation. For example issues may crop up due to conflicts with non-VM 3rd party plugins or similar that are installed on a site.  Issues with language files are common - ATM only En works OK as far as I can tell. A big problem is not enough testers who can provide useful bug reports.

Early adopters have most problems, so waiting for 2 or 3 release versions is a good idea if the current site works well. Migrating from J2.5 to J3 and VM2.6 to VM2.9/3 is relatively painless. There will no doubt be a delay after stable release for 3rd party VM developers to catch up with their plugins & templates etc.

Now we wait to see if the imminent release of J3.3.1 breaks anything.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

wajcha001

Quote from: jenkinhill on June 10, 2014, 13:14:49 PM
Yes, I would also probably use 2.9.6 or the latest version from SVN if it seems to work OK for your site and if any extra plugins that you need (eg payment or shipping) have also been fixed to work on J3.x. 

It is difficult for the team to fully test a beta or RC for every expected real live site situation. For example issues may crop up due to conflicts with non-VM 3rd party plugins or similar that are installed on a site.  Issues with language files are common - ATM only En works OK as far as I can tell. A big problem is not enough testers who can provide useful bug reports.

Early adopters have most problems, so waiting for 2 or 3 release versions is a good idea if the current site works well. Migrating from J2.5 to J3 and VM2.6 to VM2.9/3 is relatively painless. There will no doubt be a delay after stable release for 3rd party VM developers to catch up with their plugins & templates etc.

Now we wait to see if the imminent release of J3.3.1 breaks anything.

Ok, I understand so, looking at all the issues you mentioned about we can't expect stable release soon.
Also, I'm sorry to ask but how do you want to find more real testers when on virtuemart.net front page there is actually very little informations about RC and about that you need more people for testing?

lindapowers

Another thing you may want to ask yourself is, do I need any 3rd party software for VM3?

If that is the case there is very little chance that all this companies have itheir software ready for Joomla 3.

We depend not only of the VM team but some external shipping plugins, payment plugins and stats systems so once VM3 is released we will have to wait for all this programmers to adapt it.

This means that releasing a stable version as soon as possible is needed also to have an argument for those 3rd party developers to start making their software compatible for J3.x series

So unless the Core alone is enough for your website I will wait some time.

Regards

jenkinhill

Stable will be soon but 3rd party developers may take a while.

If the current 2.9.6 or (preferably)  latest SVN work OK for you for all store functions then I'd probably use it for a new J3.3 site.  Although I have built about 20 J3.x sites I still build VM sites on J2.5.x  and probably will do until at least VM3.2
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK