News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Optimized Images for Google Pagespeed - SOLVED

Started by atrus, February 20, 2014, 10:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrus

Hi to all,

You may already know this, but Google Pagespeed is punishing some of the VM2 images, because they are not loselessly optimized. I have optimized the images (png and jpeg only for now) used by VM2.027 so you can use it in your site to increase your Pagespeed score.

Suggest the next version of VM2 to come with already optimized images.

Rgrds,
Chris

[attachment cleanup by admin]

jjk

Google does NOT punish your images or website for the size of those images. Their 'Pagespeed insight' tool almost always suggests compressing already compressed images further. In case of jpg files, every time you change a compressed image and save it, you loose image data, so it's always lossy. Looks like Google's definition of 'losslessly' is "most viewer's won't notice the difference". In case of png files (usually used for graphics and icons) you can often reduce them significantly by changing them from 'true color' to '256 color' images, if you care about every single kilobyte.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

atrus

It's supposed to be loseless compression, i.e. you cannot see any difference when comparing on the two pixelated images. This is done using mathematical algorithms (e.g. Huffman method) and removing comment data.

Compressing a jpeg with Photoshop is one thing. Further loseless compression to remove obsolete comments etc. is not offered and it is advisable.

In any case, it's easy to do it and Google likes it so why not to make it standard?

We have done this in our website, and Google credits us this rule:

www.quality-tuning.eu

http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Rgrds

AH

These tiny sprites hardly make for a slow site? I agree that we should do our best to reduce size where possible and your comments should make users think of the impact of the images they utilise.

Many e-comm sites kill their image speed by using large transparent png images when they could use non-tranparent jpegs

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

atrus

Agree with Hutson. E-comm site owners should concentrate more on speed and rethink about the images in the site and in general the load of their sites. We have reduced the loading times of our VM2 website and we have seen about 20% increase in our visitors the last days.

Rgrds,

AH

Atrus

It might be useful to post some of your speed improvement suggestions for others to determine if they can be applied to their own sites
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

atrus

Yes, will prepare a post when the fine tuning is complete. I'm also in contact with the developers of JCH Optimize and Jotcache for further optimizations, results so far are very promising.

Rgrds,
Chris