News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

How do I update easily from 2.022C to 2.024?

Started by smartclick, October 01, 2013, 18:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smartclick

Hello,

New to VirtueMart!

I currently have a site on 2.022C with about 200 products. I know I can download the instillation file and upload via Joomla's extention manager, but will that delete all my products once I install? or does it just override any existing files and leave what I have there untouched?

I understand there are backup tools, but is this the normal route or how do you update without losing any data/products?

Thank you for your time! :-*

Per VMart Update Screen:

A new version is available

Before you update your live system, please test the update on a backup system in order to prevent loss of data. Expect small incompatibilities, if you are using 3rd party extensions or your own customizations (plugins, modules, templates).
Remember to update also your plugins and modules, for which you may use the live updater in the VirtueMart-AIO installer.
Installed version 2.0.22c
Latest version 2.0.24
Latest release date 2013-10-01
Direct download URL http://virtuemart.net/component/ars/repository/virtuemart/virtuemart-2-0-24/comvirtuemart-2-0-24-zip
VirtueMart 2.0.24 MINOR Revision: 7246 [IceBear]
September 27 2013 1941 GMT

jenkinhill

For all updates, of Joomla or any component, it is safest to test on a backup copy of the site first. Most use Akeeba backup for that - you should make regular site backups anyway!

To update VM I prefer always to use Joomla's extensions manager. Download the latest file package from http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files  and unpack to give the two VM components. Using Joomla's extensions installer install first the main component ( com_virtuemart.2.0.24.tar.gz ) and after that  use the extensions manager to install the aio component ( com_virtuemart.2.0.24_ext_aio.tar.gz )

Once completed your VM will have been updated. No products, users etc will be lost during this process.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

AH

Please run this on a test version of your site FIRST.

If you do not have a test version, then setup one now!

Alos create a backup of your live site on a test setup.

You will then gain great experience in restoring files and databases should you ever need to in the future.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

JMoVS

Hi,

my Joomla v 2.5.14 does quit me with a simpl e"unable to write entry" failure if I try the above mentioned procedure to update from v2.0.22c

How can I either fix this or can get more details?

EDIT: Really interesting: With the tar.gz package, I get an "unable to write entry" failure, the zip package works fine. Is the compressed file ok?

jenkinhill

Yes, the files are OK, but some shared servers can't unpack tar.gz files.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

JMoVS