Previous topic - Next topic

lindapowers

Hi

We just published our new website in VM 2

navel oranges

Lots of fun with the translations ;D

Regards

jjk

Looks good. Just curious - is there any difference in taste between green oranges and orange ones? Just asking, because nobody sells green ones here in Germany.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

lindapowers

Thanks jjk

Green oranges? or you mean oranges with leaf?

All oranges are green when they have not reach the optimum point of ripeness, some are still acid and some just have that little green natural colour which is not "commercial" but still good in taste.

However from our experience a customer never understands a fruit can be in its perfect state even when is still a bit green. In Spain for example they give more importance to the "taste" while when we went to Berlin 90% of the fruit exposed in the event (sorry cant remember the name) was "nice looking fruit" (artificial)., so they give a lot of importance to the external aspect there too.

What most european companies do is use artificial ripening process which makes this process faster and also changes dramatically the colour of the fruit just so that is more "commercial"(more orange).  What we sell is direct from the orchard, or in other words, as if you took the fruit directly from the tree so the taste is really different to what you can find in supermarkets which is full of additives and residues (so that the fruit lasts longer).

I know the case for Germany since half my family is german and my cousin is living there although I can't speak a single word :D

Regards

jjk

Quote from: lindapowers on April 27, 2013, 12:56:34 PM
Thanks jjk

Green oranges? or you mean oranges with leaf?
I meant green but mellow oranges. I thought in warm winters, a large percentage of oranges probably keep the green color.

QuoteHowever from our experience a customer never understands a fruit can be in its perfect state even when is still a bit green.
Maybe because nobody tells them. Perhaps you should sell green ones at higher prices, so that the customer thinks it's higher quality.  ;D

QuoteIn Spain for example they give more importance to the "taste" while when we went to Berlin 90% of the fruit exposed in the event (sorry cant remember the name) was "nice looking fruit" (artificial)., so they give a lot of importance to the external aspect there too.
The event in Berlin probably was the "GrĂ¼ne Woche" (Green Week).

Quote...so the taste is really different to what you can find in supermarkets which is full of additives and residues (so that the fruit lasts longer).
That's why I prefer to eat apples from our own appletree instead of buying EU-standardized (unified size and taste) ones in the supermarket.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

lindapowers

Just remembered the name with the help of google :P "FRUIT LOGISTICA"

From your own appletree much better yes, thats our idea but with oranges ;) Our climate is not very good for apples, at least in our city.

Regards

Oh and yes they keep the colour but that is why you have different varieties in different months to sell the one's that are in their optimum point and with the orange colour, Navel is a group of varieties really similar between them but each has their months to be sold.