Shopping Cart Module Not Updating on PC's, Firefox and Internet Explorer 9

Started by chuckI, March 20, 2013, 22:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckI

Hello,

I have been troubleshooting this for a few days with no luck.

I am using Joomla 2.5.8, Virtuemart 2.0.20a, Vamazing Theme from Yageendo 3.0.7, and PHP 5.3.19

I have caching turned off in Global Configurations and also the System Plugin.

Using the VirtueMart CSS = Yes
Using the VirtueMart jQuery = Yes   
Using the product Scripts = Yes
Using the Script ajax Countries / Regions = Yes   
Use external google jQuery library = No

I having problems in Firefox and Internet Explorer on PC's with the Cart not updating correctly. Works fine on Mac in Safari and Firefox.

1. Click on Add to Cart, Product goes into Shopping Cart module, In the popup I click on Continue Shopping, no problem.

2. Click on Add to Cart for second product, product goes into Shopping Cart module, in the popup I click on Continue Shopping and the new product disappears from the Module.

3. Surf around Virtuemart, make two clicks on categories, new products, or whatever, the missing product will reappear in the cart. Same thing happens adding additional products to the cart.

I am using the JSN Epic template but I switched to the default Beez2 Default template and the same problem happened on the PC's.

I get this when I turn on the VM Debug...
vmdebug self::$_jpConfig->lang en_gb
vmdebug vmTime: loadConfig db no: 0.007396936416626
vmdebug Start used Ram 16.5M
vmdebug vmTime: VirtuemartControllerCategory Finished task : 0.29879903793335
vmdebug End used Ram 27M
vmdebug Peak memory peak 27M

I have turned on the Joomla Debug but I am not sure what to look for there.

Here is a link to the website....
http://temp.modwest.com/kettlehouse.com

Can anyone suggest why this would be just a PC issue? We have tested on three different PC's and happens in all of them.

Thanks, Chuck

chuckI

More information...

The Session Handler is set to Database.

I have all Caches turned off.

I am using Metamod to apply the Shopping Cart and Category Menu to the Virtumart pages only.

I have turned off caching in the modules for the Category Menu.

It seems to be a caching issue. Works fine on a Mac.

Is it possible it has to to with the temporary url issued by my hosting company. It is missing the www. See below.

Thanks again, Chuck

http://temp.modwest.com/kettlehouse.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=categories&virtuemart_category_id=0&Itemid=510

rjs

Hello,
I can confirm. In my case (J2.5.10, VM2.0.20b) it does not work with Firefox either.
The cart module does not list the correct content of the cart. Sometimes only one item is listed, sometimes all, sometimes none.
Moving on to check-out, then only shows the first item that had been added to the cart, until the very last step, when suddenly the full cart content is back again.

Disabling cache does resolve the issue (module and component).

As a quick fix, is there a way to only disable cache for Virtuemart?
Thanks and have a good day,

PS: "cachelite" and "conservative caching" seem to work better. To be tested further...

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

rjs

Quote from: jenkinhill on April 25, 2013, 23:51:06 PM
People have also had cache and updating issues on servers where Cloudflare has been installed. eg see http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=114127.msg384924#msg384924
The site runs under a canonical www url (as discussed there).
I wonder if the Joomla magics would work if the cart module's xml file was simply completed with the following:
<field
name="cache"
type="list"
default="1"
label="COM_MODULES_FIELD_CACHING_LABEL"
description="COM_MODULES_FIELD_CACHING_DESC">
<option
value="1">JGLOBAL_USE_GLOBAL</option>
<option
value="0">COM_MODULES_FIELD_VALUE_NOCACHING</option>
</field>
<field
name="cache_time"
type="text"
default="900"
label="COM_MODULES_FIELD_CACHE_TIME_LABEL"
description="COM_MODULES_FIELD_CACHE_TIME_DESC" />
<field
name="cachemode"
type="hidden"
default="static">
<option
value="static"></option>
</field>

Follow-up:
It seems to work: I have changed the cart module in a test environment to display the current time and date. The modules XML configuration has been updated with the above code.

Test and Result:
Global caching is on (conservative caching, file).
Leaving the module as is: the date is not correctly updated when refreshing the page.

Changing the module settings to "no caching" ensures the date is displayed correctly.

Possible issues:
This does not seem to work with "Progressive Caching" and I'm not sure if this test is really reliable.

Comments are welcome.

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

rjs

Thanks for that information.
How do you do that? Are you using JotCache or is there a setting I missed in Virtuemart?

jenkinhill

Turn off each module in the Joomla module manager Advanced Options.

I have this in my notes:  If you want to toggle caching on/off with individual modules, set the global cache type to Conservative and then use the module's cache type to enable / disable caching. Progressive caching overrides specific modules cache settings.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

rjs

Thanks again. That is exactly what I did. However, to get that option for the "VirtueMart Shopping Cart" module, I first had to add the above xml to the module's configuration file.
In the random product display module the option is already available. Maybe that is a little omission in the latest 2.0.20 release.