News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Display a different language-based category image

Started by Walrus, March 28, 2013, 12:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walrus

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Virtuemart, and mainly I work as graphic designer, so I'm sorry if this question could appear a bit stupid. I'm translating my Virtuemart website in three different languages: English-default, Italian and German. I've created a category image for every category, but on every image I've also typed the category name in the used language (so, in the english image, I've typed i.e. "Mobile Phones", in the german image "Mobiletelefon", in the italian one "Telefono cellulare"). But of course the category image displayed it's the same for every language, even if I've already setted all the modules/categories to show them in the proper language. So my question is: there's a way to select a different cateogory image for every used language? There's a plugin or something like that in order to show a different category image according the user's language?

Thank you.  :)

jjk

I didn't try it myself yet, but if you did configure VM for all three languages already (see here: http://docs.virtuemart.net/tutorials/36-multilingual-store/99-multilanguage-setup.html), it should work if you upload your three different category images into the category images tab and then use the language filter at the bottom of the form for each of the images.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Walrus

jjk, sorry for the late reply, but I have a LOT of troubles with the site I'm working on. Furthermore, I'm also loading the products, and I'm late on delivery the site to the customer.  Anyway, no, there's any way to load a specific category image using the language switcher in the Product Category form. Switching between languages shows just the same image, link fields and so on. I load every image using the English form, and it's the same image for every language.

Walrus

I don't know if it's the right forum section, but with this thread already open, I would like to ask if someone could help me with this issue. I don't know if it's a trouble created by wrong settings or something else, but I have a lot of categories duplicated without anything in them. I'll try to explain with some images:

Here's a screenshot with the general category view in the website. I highlighted two categories as examples: the green one is correct: it has the custom category image, and the products assigned to that category are inside it. The red one it's a wrong category with a different category ID (green one: 82, red one: 90) but inside there isn't any product:

Also the three categories on the bottom left of the image are duplicated categories, and they're clones (but, as before, without any product in them) of the three categories above.

In the administration I can't see anywhere those duplicated categories. These duplicated categories are just in the italian and german language, in english language there aren't any problems. I read googling around that it could be a SEF url's problem, but I don't know how to solve it.

jjk

Quote from: Walrus on April 10, 2013, 12:45:25 PM
jjk, sorry for the late reply, but I have a LOT of troubles... ... Anyway, no, there's any way to load a specific category image using the language switcher in the Product Category form.

I didn't look at your next problem yet (I'm currently very busy with my own work), but I just tested different category images for different languages. Works perfectly for me with just a few mouse clicks to configure it the way I mentioned in my previous reply to you. So you apparently have one or more wrong multilanguage settings in Joomla or VirtueMart or both.

Update:
Just added a second image to one of my categories on my live website. To see that changing category images with the language works, you may follow the link I posted here some time ago:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=110005.msg368594#msg368594
If you switch languages with the flags, you will see that the automobile art category image changes when German is selected.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Walrus

Thank you jjk, it was a multilanguage store problem. Today I reinstalled again VM with all the languages configuration step-by-step and the problem's gone. Also the duplicated category I think it was a multilanguage problem. Actually I'm only use the english language, and tomorrow I'll import the italian and the german product version, but before I'll manage all the categories translation in order to import them correctly updating the csv.

K&K media production

I have implemented multilingual images since VirtueMart 2.0.20b

go to your category -> choose images -> select a image -> select a language for the image (for example english)

-> save

select one more image or uploade one more -> select a different language (for example german)

-> save

and the same for the french image