News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Not Upgrading VM Just Joomla

Started by IntrepidClassChicken, March 01, 2013, 15:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IntrepidClassChicken

Hello,

I recently used jUpgrade to migrate a Joomla 1.5 site to a 2.5 site. Other than having to recreate my template in Artisteer and play around with that, the basics work. During the process jUpgrade did indicate that it would be migrating JCE and Virtuemart as well by migrating their com_xxxxx entires but both modules were completely missing in 2.5. No sign of them in the Components menu. I have reinstalled the latest version of JCE and the same version of Virtuemart which was the latest (2.0.18a) but there are no product categories or products in the store and I am basically having to go through and rebuild the store from scratch making sure all the settings are as previous.

Is there a shortcut I can take on this process?
The other tutorials don't seem to relate to this issue.

My 2.5 site is now in a jupgrade folder which is one level up from the root yet all the folders referenced in the configuration of the store use the root as their starting point.

Also after I finish, can I delete the old 1.5 files and move everything down and out of the jupgrade folder just by moving the files and folders?

Thanks for any help  :)

jenkinhill

Assuming you still have the old VM1 database you can make sure product images are in the right place and use the migrator. http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=95236.0

I don't know about jUpgrade - I tried it in the earlier days of migration from J1.5 and found it unreliable, so have used SP Upgrade ever since.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

IntrepidClassChicken

"Topic: Not Upgrading VM Just Joomla"

I have never had VM 1 only VM 2 which I kept up to date on the Joomla 1.5 site. So unfortunately no, none of the posted tutorials help me.
I should point out that I made the mistake of listening to someone who said Joomla 2.5 wasn't yet supported well so I went with Joomla 1.5 after support for 1.5 had officially ended. I only found that out after I built the thing. In hindsight I should have built it directly as a Joomla 2.5 site. But stuck with the problem now and need a fix.

I will have a look at SP Upgrade and maybe try again. Thanks for this information  :)

IntrepidClassChicken

Feedback on SP Upgrade versus jUpgrade. There appear to be as many problems no matter which one I use.

jUpgrade is free and creates a whole new site for you without having to install Joomla but only gets you to Joomla 2.5.
SP Upgrade costs 39.95 euros, the installation path is a little more convoluted but it does a reasonable attempt at upgrading your template too. But because the upgrade of the template is not perfect, I am going to have to recreate anyway. The only real advantage is that you can pester the support team with questions.

Neither handle Virtuemart well at all.

jenkinhill

Quote from: IntrepidClassChicken on March 06, 2013, 14:46:56 PM
Neither handle Virtuemart well at all.

They are not supposed to. That's why there is a migration script built into VM when coming from 1.1 to 2, and if just updating J1.5 to 2.5 with VM2 already installed it is a case of installing VM2 on the new 2,5 site and then replacing the dabatase tables with the 1.5/2 version.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

IntrepidClassChicken

Thanks Kelvin,

Yes I worked out that I could use jUpgrade to get me to a new and fairly clean working 2.5 site, then use SP Upgrade to transfer over the VM tables.

I also learned the hard way that VM is not supported on Joomla 3.0.