News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Short Description too short

Started by Denwa, January 11, 2011, 17:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denwa

Hi Guys
I hope this is in the right section sorry if it isn't. I have been using virtuemart for a while now but only really used the standard features but now I am starting to edit categories and browse pages and I have run into a brick wall. When I insert text into the short description I am limited to the number of characters I can put in how can I changed this to as many characters as I want I would include a link but the site isn't live yet. Thank you in advance.

AH

You will need to update the field in the database for the product table.

Not recommended if you are new to this.

What is the url for?
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Denwa

Quote from: Hutson on January 11, 2011, 19:17:17 PM
You will need to update the field in the database for the product table.

Not recommended if you are new to this.

What is the url for?
The URL I wanted to put in, just so you can visualise what I am talking about I suppose usually I am not very good at explaining things.

jenkinhill

Is this for VirtueMart 1.5 Beta? If not this is the wrong section. See http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=79799.0
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

tonis

HI
If you mean the number of characters for the short description in category view, you need to modify this file ... component/com_virtuemart/views/category/tmpl/default.php
find this code...
<p class="product_s_desc">
<?php echo shopFunctionsF::limitStringByWord($product->product_s_desc, 40, '...') ?>
</p>
and overwrite the number 40 to as many characters you want.

ukfish1

Hi

ref: http://www.teethwhiteningwarehouse.co.uk/

I am having a problem getting the short description to display the number of characters required in category view. I have changed the following to 100 but still won't display them:

<?php // Product Short Description
                  if(!empty($product->product_s_desc)) { ?>
                  <p class="product_s_desc">
                  <?php echo shopFunctionsF::limitStringByWord($product->product_s_desc, 100, '...') ?>
                  </p>
                  <?php } ?>

There must be something else determing the length of thge short description but can't figure what. An y ideas?

Thanks, Paul

bytelord

Hello,

I think you did not edit your template override ... take a look under:

joomla_root_folder/templates/joomla_template/html/com_virtuemart/category/default.php

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

ukfish1

Hi bytelord

that's great, thanks for the quick reply.

I now need to edit the length of the short description for the 12 featured products showing on the home page. Any ideas where I might change this?

Cheers, Paul

bytelord

Hello,

This one is related to your custom template ... ask your template provider where that file is located, http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=108212.0

If this is the vm front page then is located under: joomla_folder\templates\your_joomla_template\html\com_virtuemart\virtuemart\default_products.php

if this is a module then is located under joomla_folder\templates\your_joomla_template\html\mod_[module_name]\[template_file].php

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

ukfish1

Perfect, thanks so much for your time

paul