News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

suggestions to solve special need in my shop

Started by -Buggi-, January 03, 2013, 19:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Buggi-

Hello everyone
I have a shop that sell trackday events, and in this, a customer should be able to choose a "Drivernumber" for the event.
It must be possible to select numbers from 1-999, and the same number may only be used once!
It would be preferable for it to be selected as an attribute to the product (the event), because it will then be exported to the same line as the product itself in the csv report, when I make csv order export (It is used for the timekeepers on the event).
I have tried me make a stockable custom field, but I cannot be allowed to make more than 192 options / numbers before the page crashes - probably because it is too heavy for the database. I felt that the page-performance where suffering badly  when I create the 192 child products, so I can imagine that 999 would be much worse.
Aside from that the site crashes and the performance is poor, then the solution with stockable custom fields is fine because I easily can steer that only one of each number is sold.

I then thought of a solution where a customer writes a desired number in a text field. Preferable on the product itself as an attribute, but a mandatory field in the customer profile could also be used. The problem here is that the same number may not be selected twice, and there must therefore be made some kind of validation on the field, so that the max input is 3 numbers, and the same combination cannot be written twice. ie field content at must be unique.

Any thoughts on how to achieve this, is much appreciated  :)

System specs:
Joomla 2.5
Virtuemart 2.0.16

jenkinhill

This will not be easy with VirtueMatr and may require considerable additional coding. Can you not use a program that is actually built for selling event tickets?  See http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/calendars-a-events/events/events-registration
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Milbo

This is a plugin, I call it serialPlugin. I wrote it for vm1, it will follow for vm2, people already asked for it.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

-Buggi-

Quote from: Milbo on January 04, 2013, 10:24:05 AM
This is a plugin, I call it serialPlugin. I wrote it for vm1, it will follow for vm2, people already asked for it.

Really, that sounds GREAT.. Please tell me more about it, and any info on when you will expect it to be ready for VM2  :D

I REALLY need this for my shop, so I´m excited to hear more about it  :)

-Buggi-

I´m still looking for a solution to this problem, and are very interested in any suggestions to solve it.
The "serial plugin" Milbo mentions is apparently nowhere to find, put it sounds promising, so I´m very interested in hearing more about it...

Please step forward if you know anything  :)

jenkinhill

Milbo has not been around much lately as he is moving house. Maybe if you PM him he can give you a quote for development cost and an indication of timeframe.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

-Buggi-

Quote from: jenkinhill on January 27, 2013, 23:37:07 PM
Milbo has not been around much lately as he is moving house. Maybe if you PM him he can give you a quote for development cost and an indication of timeframe.

Hi Kelvyn

Thanks for your reply.
I have already PM´ed Milbo a long time ago, but have not heard anything from him. Guess his busy moving around.

Maybe I should try one more time  :)