News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

[solved] Product Page 2 (and following pages) not working!

Started by 8limes, December 17, 2012, 17:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8limes

Virtuemart Version: 2.0.14

Every time I try to view the product page 2 of 2, it only lists the first page each of that category. This is problematic, because customers can not see the following products for purchase. In the meantime I changed the products per category to display to 24 items, so there is no second product page to go to. But I would rather show only 9 or 12 products per category page and have the following pages working. In the meantime it is not that big of a factor due to the amount of items per category, but that might change soon. Any help is appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance.

bytelord

Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

8limes

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The first link you sent me is just for the amounts of products to show on the shop frontpage as well for each category. I have not a problem with that and used this as a work around, so I don't have multiple product pages per category. At the moment we have only 2 categories with 16 items, and I changed it to show 24 items there in the meantime, avoiding the issue that you need not go to product page 2 of 2.

The second link mentions that the pagination problem will be solved with the version 2.0.16 (or I could add it manually to the necessary php file), which is actually the issue I am having. If this is correct, then I won't bother changing the code myself, but rather wait for the update instead to fix it on its own. Am I correct with my assumption here? Thanks again to clarify this last question.

Also, maybe worth mentioning:
On the "Shop Frontpage" I have displayed 30 items per page, and I have no pagination problems there. I can visit page 2, page 3 etc. without any problems.
Only in the categories itself I can not go to product page 2 and so on. 'Next' or 'End' does also not work on those. But when I sort them after their name etc., it happens that the following product pages then are able to show.

bytelord

Hi,

For me seems to be a pagination issue and wan't to see if you have configured properly. Also the second one have a fix for pagination and you could add that code.
Please make the your checks like the first post (max products per page, etc) and also try it without sef enabled.
As i say please check first your vm2 configuration under shopfront and then your category configuration to resolve it.

btw, do you any third part sef component? Do you have joomla caching enabled? Any third party plugin/compo for caching? Can you provide a live url?

Thanks

8limes

I have set the site online at the moment. It can be viewed at http://idealweightaway.com and the shop is accessible via the link shop in the main menu. I do not have any third party SEF modules installed yet. All which was done so far was installing and configuring the template and virtuemart, modifying the design and adding products and information. I also can not get past the process of changing/editing billing and shipping address etc. since I changed it to https. Any idea on that as well you can shake out of your hand? You seem to know your stuff very well, I am still learning certain basics here. Thanks again for all your help.

Regarding Caching:
Under Maintenance - Clear Cache - 'was' virtuemart. I tried to purge the cache under 'purge expired cache', which worked fine. But I also accidentally selected virtuemart under maintenance - clear cache - and deleted it! How can I get it back there? Does it show up itself when it has cache to clear or did I do something stupid and should not have selected it and delete it? I guess I should not have.

bytelord

Hello,

Just checked your site ... is working fine ... page 1 ok, page 2 ok ... page 3 ok ... does not reapearing the same product. You could check your template overrides, especially if you update vm2 after the changes you have made to your templates, you have to update them too.
To your issue, try to clean your browser cache....

For your second question, why you have a SSL certificate enabled? Do you own one? Do you have installed on your server?

The error is not related to vm2 or joomla ... i think is related to your server configuration...

QuoteSecure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to idealweightaway.com.
SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

8limes

Regarding Hostgator and my reseller account I do have a shared ssl which is installed on the server as well. At least on the reseller one, maybe I have do enable it or something for my customers account as well. I think I have to get back to hostgator with that. When I don't use SSL, will transactions still be secured etc. with the payment provider authorize.net? If that is the case I do not really need to go through that either and just turn of SSL again.

The pagination issue was only with the categories, but not with the shopfront. But I increased the numbers of products to be displayed there and therefore works fine now. I just wait for the update to fix it itself. The customer wants 24 or 30 items per page displayed anyway (still deciding about it), and until he reaches that amount per category, the update correcting this issue will be released by then. This way I do not have to change anything in this regards I guess.

I added info on my prior message regarding your caching question. Thanks a lot!

I can't find anymore where I turned on SSL! I checked both configurations (joomla and virtuemart) and can't seem to find it anymore. Forcing SSL is OFF under Global Configuration - Server, as well as Global Caching is disabled under Global Configuration - System - Cache Settings.

bytelord

Hello,

The shared SSL will not work with your site ... is for the server and is not validate it ... just to use cpanel and the rest with ssl enabled. Eshop engines or web site or bank transactions or ... want the site have a validate domain SSL for that domain or subdomain and your site have a dedicate iIP  address, not a shared one ... So you have to purchase one use any free ssl service ...

The pagination for me is configuration issue, as i told try to read careful my previous post (max products per page can be multiply clear with your pagination):

QuoteFrom the backend goto Configuration-> Shopfront and then change Max products per view in frontend.
Please place a number than can multiply with the pagination (like 10 and pagination 10-20-30-40-50)

Regards

8limes

I set the multiplier to 30 items (shopfront) and pagination to 30,60,90,120 Following your tip. I will try to lower the settings later to verify that the pagination issue is working, because we have not more then 30 products per category yet. Thanks a lot for your help in this regards.

Back to SSL, I am a little confused here. How do I proceed with a free SSL and  where should I obtain them from? Any recommendation or should I just look through the forum or google it? I installed a shop before, but it was its own business account (not reseller) and did not have to worry about it. As far as I can remember it showed https during checkout process without having done anything special. I understand what you meant in regards to the shared SSL, its just that I asked hostgator prior about that when I install a shop for a customer and they told me it is the same and I don't have to worry about it. Thanks again for all your help, I hope I am not bothering you too much already.   

bytelord

There are a lot of provider for SSL:
1. Comodo
2. verisign
3. geotrust
4. trustwave
5. thawte

That the most famous ... you provider gives you an SSL for your server does not mean that you have a valid domain SSL ... because you have to verify your business, etc ... you cannot use a shared SSL, especially an non validated for your eshop. Try to each on google to find more information. Some SSL need's a month to validated epecially if is verisign or thawte and wan't to validate a whole organization and is ver expensive (just an example)...

A free SSL is provided by the following company (without green-bar i think on browser bars) ... see  here: http://www.startssl.com/?app=1

jjk have use it recently and it works ...

PS: Please try to find more information regarding SSLs and how are working ... you cannot validate a whole server running 100 sites for example that all this shops are validated and are secure, there a re some rules ...
PS2: To use a valid SSL on your site, that web site must HAVE A DETICATED IP ADDRESS ... ask you provider for more information, they are selling SSL too ...

Regards

8limes

I am getting really confused here now! Pagination is not working again. I changed all back as it was, but seems not working as supposed now anymore. I am adding my config settings for you too see. They are added as a test product in the category Bars & Cookies. I tried adding multiple pictures to the media file , but receive an error message when I try to add an additional picture unlike in prior virtuemart versions, where this was never a problem (they seem to keep piling up here). I have added their linked image here as well, with the hope that they show. If not please visit the link directly to see the picture of my settings.

Drinks - Bars & Cookies are the only two categories with more then 10 items, both have the same settings, but Bars & Cookies shows all products (out of 30) but drinks only shows 12 (out of 15)! WHY? the settings are visible of the drinks category on the 3rd picture and are exact the same as bars & cookies, which works though!

and

and

Regarding Maintenance again! Under Maintenance - Clear Cache - I had virtuemart as a selectable field below, but accidentally deleted it. Is this problematic, and can it be retrieved? Or should I not worry?

8limes

On safari the category drinks shows 12 out of 15 items although the pagination is set to start at 30, and therefore should display all of them. On firefox it shows only 2 items in the drink category. Why does the browser make differences here? I can not check on IE, because I am working on a mac, but I guess when it works properly on both (firefox and safari) it should be fine then there too. But I am still confused why these two categories do not act they same, because the settings are exactly alike. Should I recreate the category and delete the existing one as a possible solution maybe?

8limes

I found out the reason why it shows only 2 items in firefox and more in safari. When I keep the shopper group empty in the product, it shows in firefox, but when I make it default or anonymous, it won't show. Changing all now and removing shopper group!

bytelord

Hello,

Checking them from here all products are shown well on one page ... are you sure that you have clear your browser cache also, not only joomla

Regards

8limes

Hmmm? I cleared my browser multiple times and the customer looked at it as well! But the category 'Drinks' shows on our side only 12 of 15 items on SAFARI browser! On firefox it now shows all 15, after I deleted the shopper group and kept it blank. I guess it is browser related, but I don't get it why it is not the same though. After all, the other categories show on safari proper as well. Why one and not the other? Firefox is showing all correct now, but safari still treats 'drinks' differently. Maybe safari is drunk! I try to reset the whole Safari browser, maybe that will fix it!