VM 2.0.15b: Override product_edit.php in Backend doesn´t work

Started by uschmi, December 05, 2012, 14:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uschmi

After updating from 2.0.14 to 2.0.15b, my overrides for the product editing in backend doesn´t work anymore.
VM allways fetches the default files, not those in my backend template.
I have already doublechecked misstyes a.s.o.
All other overrides in backend and in frontend still works fine.

Please help!

bytelord

Hello,

2.0.15b is a test version not a stable one ... try 2.0.15c
Hopefully you didn't upgrade a live site.

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

uschmi

I did so after some testings - but I simply renamed the original php-files to make VM using my overrides - just as a workarround...

bytelord

uschmi

Thanks bytelord.
But I´m using overrides already sind VM 2.0.4  :) and it was working since updating to 2.0.15x!
Just renaming (or deleting) the original files makes my overrides working - so, there must be another reason why the overides are not aknowledged.

bytelord

overrides on backend editing? Missed that ... what exactly are you trying to do?

uschmi

I´m overriding product_edit_information.php and product_edit_dimensions.php.
Originally, these files are located in /administrator/components/com_virtuemart/views/product/tmpl/.
The overrides are in /administrator/templates/bluestork/html/com_virtuemart/product/.

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

uschmi

I´m misusing some fields for other purposes as they are originally used for (f.ex.for Vendor article no, EAN...).
The reason is simply, that I´m using Third-party-tools, which cannot properly handle custom fields.

So for example, I want to have the field "product_box" on the product-information-side and use it for EAN.

bytelord

uschmi

No it isn´t - 2 reasons:
- you have to add custom fields each time, you add a new product: this isn´t very intuitive for the enduser when managing a larger shop
- custom fields are located on the last tab page. EAN and SKU should be on the first tab
- I´m using third-party-tools which cannot handle custom fields at the moment

Milbo

Learn to use parents as patterns, then you dont have this problem. Your customers should just clone a child and thats it. Very handy to use. SKU is on the first page.
Using an EAN is a sku. EAN is just a normed way of SKU. Using both at once is imho wrong warehouse setup. But due the sloopiness of merchants and manufacturers it may be necessary.

But to answer the main question: We did not change anything there, so the overrides should still work as before.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

uschmi

Quote from: Milbo on December 14, 2012, 13:10:07 PM
Learn to use parents as patterns, then you dont have this problem. Your customers should just clone a child and thats it. Very handy to use.
Thanks Milbo, but we are using parents/childs! But that doesn´t solve our problems.

QuoteSKU is on the first page.
Using an EAN is a sku. EAN is just a normed way of SKU. Using both at once is imho wrong warehouse setup. But due the sloopiness of merchants and manufacturers it may be necessary.

If you say, EAN is a sku, then we do need 3 different sku:
- our own sku
- manufacturers sku
- EAN

Manufacturers sku and EAN are needed both, if you want to offer your products via shopping-portals like billiger.de, idealo.de, guenstiger.de a.s.o.

Milbo

In this case I would write a customfield plugin, add it to my pattern. the plugin is using its own table and using the vm SKU to xref the others.