Cannot add additional products to cart in Internet Explorer

Started by edudflog, November 14, 2012, 04:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edudflog

When using any version of IE, my customer is able to add a first product to the cart.  When they try to add a second product, the cart message indicates it has been added however the actual cart does not update with the additional product.

They can increase the number of first products in the cart itself and it will update, but additional products cannot be added to the cart after the first.

Using Joomla 2.5.7 and VM 2.0.10

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Letterhead

Try adjusting the config file

Make sure your store URL is correct and the config file live site.

play around with the live site in the config file ie remove www, or take it out completely.

See if this works

edudflog

Thank you for your replies.  Unfortunately, I am really new to Virtuemart and am not sure where to find the config file you are speaking about.  Do I access this through my FTP or is the configuration information available through the back end of the site?
Through FTP, I accessed the configuration.php file and noted that the live site name is already blank ("").  I tried to change it to my site name in Dreamweaver but had trouble saving the file back to my server, and when I was able to save it, it broke the site.  I replaced the original file and it was restored to working order. 
Where does this Live Site information populate from?  I located the Joomla configuration under Global Configuration but I don't see where to put the live site name.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

jenkinhill

@Letterhead VirtueMart 2 does not use a config file, configuration is stored in the database.

edudflog  please give a url for the live site.

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

PRO

go into "extension manager" /database

and see if there are warnings

if so, repair them

edudflog

Again, thanks for your help.

The URL is www.novelocket.com.

I don't want to seem too dumb, but when you say go into extension manager/database, where do I find that?  Is it in a module within the Joomla extension manager?  Do I do it through mysql on the server?  And where will the warnings show up?

Sorry for the need to hand hold but I am just not terribly familiar with this.

Thanks again.

PRO

Quote from: edudflog on November 14, 2012, 18:53:10 PM
Again, thanks for your help.

The URL is www.novelocket.com.

I don't want to seem too dumb, but when you say go into extension manager/database, where do I find that?  Is it in a module within the Joomla extension manager?  Do I do it through mysql on the server?  And where will the warnings show up?

Sorry for the need to hand hold but I am just not terribly familiar with this.

Thanks again.

go into joomla extension manager, then you will see a database tab

edudflog

Pro

Thanks for your guidance.

I went into both the database tab and the warnings tab and both show no problems.

This is very frustrating as I do not know how to resolve this issue.  Do you have any other ideas?

Bill

jenkinhill

Looks like the problem is related to the JavaScript used in your Shape 5 template, so you need to ask them about it.

Note that when describing the template they say "We've done some heavy third party editing to Virtuemart" and also, reading through their forum, the template was developed for use with an older VM version, 2.0.6, and has not been updated for the current version, now 2.0.14 or even for your  2.0.10

See http://www.shape5.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,75/topic,25107.msg101267/#msg101267
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

edudflog

Jenkinhill

They replied that it is not a template issue (although they will be looking at my Joomla admin panel).  They believe it is a Virtuemart issue, so where does that leave me?  Buyers still cannot use IE and that eliminates a significant potential market for us.

Thanks

jenkinhill

If this were a VM issue then others would have reported this problem, but yours is the only report of this that I have seen. You could check VM function by switching to a standard Joomla template such as Beez5 and testing there.

Your template does load some IE specific script - <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.novelocket.com/templates/shoppingbag/js/multibox/AC_RunActiveContent.js"></script> but I do not know if this is related.

I also like that template, and have used  commercial templates myself, including a couple from Shape5, but usually make a lot of changes to suit my own or my client's taste & requirements.

VirtueMart is in a rapid development cycle and has seen many changes in output that has required updates in template overrides which template developers are having problems keeping up with. You are trying to get things working with VM 2.0.10 on a template that was developed for 2.0.6 (and have done well apart from the IE issue), but the current VM release version is 2.0.14 and VM 2.1 with some substantial improvements is due for release in just a few weeks time.

Let me know if Mike identifies the problem.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK