Author Topic: One parent category shows no products, all others do  (Read 4000 times)

Reggaeshop

• Trenchtown Music :: www.reggaeshop.cz
One parent category shows no products, all others do
« on: October 10, 2012, 00:12:46 am »
Hello,

since I think it may e an SEF issue, i am posting it here: I have a music shop with more categories and sub categories. They area all set up in the same way. Products are assigned to more categories, if necessary. Now there is the strange issue; Two categories which are, I think, identical, behave differently.\:

Category: CD. It shows all the CDs which are in stock, no matter what style
Category: CD - Reggae - it shows all reggae CDs

This categories work fine

Category: Vinyl. It shows all the vinyl records which are in stock, no matter what style
Category: Vinyl - Reggae - it shows all reggae vinyl

This categories do not work: When clicking on "Vinyl", it shows as if there are no products in the main category, it only shows the list of sub categories. When clicking on "Vinyl - Reggae", it shows as an empty category, but the backend tells that there are many products
Other sub categories under "Vinyl" work fine

When looking into ARTIOSEF, it showed that it was creating SEF URLs with complete wrong combinations of artist - title . I deleted them, but then they appeared again. And this was again happening only  at the category vinyl-reggae.

Any idea how it can happen that only one category behaves so strange?

Thanks,

Peter

Joomla 1.5.26, VM 1.1.9

Edit: I succeed to make one subcategory (vinyl-reggae) work, by moving it out of the parent category, and then back again. But the parent category (vinyl) still does not show any products. While in the back end there are a lot of products added to this category.

The category "vinyl" is set up identically as the category "CD", but the "CD" category works as it should (as do all parent categories), only the vinyl category does not.

Btw - the site is www.reggaeshop.cz

equatorlounge

• Beginner
Re: One parent category shows no products, all others do
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 08:09:33 am »
hi i have the same problem and now i selecting both the child and parent categories so tthat the products appear on both categories
stupid move, agreed but it works and, also; beggars cant choose right ? :D

Reggaeshop

• Trenchtown Music :: www.reggaeshop.cz
Re: One parent category shows no products, all others do
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 19:31:42 pm »
Hello!

In the end it appeared to be an issue with our hosting provider - a combination of non-optimaized SQL tables and a server which could not manage it. Changing hosting solved the issue, and working on optimizing SQL queries limited the number of queries, to avaoid issues in the future.

Best regards,

Peter