Author Topic: Integrating Virtuemart into a Wordpress website  (Read 14094 times)

rooze62

• Beginner
Integrating Virtuemart into a Wordpress website
« on: October 09, 2012, 18:29:13 pm »
Hey folks.

This sounds odd I know, but due to a number of factors I have a Wordpress install handling all my site pages, with Joomla 1.5.2.3/VM1.1.4 sitting in a /store/ directory doing the commerce.

Oddly enough you can't buy a decent cart for Wordpress, so I'm resigned to pushing along with Joomla/VM at least for now. Plus I don't want to inconvenience my existing customers by switching to a new cart.

I want to integrate the store more seamlessly into the wordpress site, so I have the idea of using a wrapper. I would basically create a Joomla template using Artisteer that doesn't have a header, it would just be a page with a footer. Then I'd call it from within Wordpress.

I'm looking for help on how to setup the 'add to cart' buttons so that they not only add the products, and go to the basket page, but also do it via the wrapper. So the add-to-cart with quantity buttons are hard-coded onto my WP pages, when I hit the button I want to load the virtuemart basket but have it inside the page wrapper, same with checkout.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

I'm also looking for a way to display VM cart contents on non-VM pages using the mini cart module or just some custom code.

I know, this sounds whacky, but It's actually a neat system if I can get it to work. I have the benefit of WP, with its great templates and vast array of plugins, blog, etc, and I just let joomla handle the store.
It's no worse than using a 3rd party cart and trying to integrate it into an existing store - I just want it to be more seamless. I could of course pay someone to design a Joomla template that matches my WP theme, but then I have the hassle of keeping navigation updated on two sites, WP and Joomla.

Any thoughts!!

Cheers

jenkinhill

• UK Web Developer & Consultant
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • Always on vacation
    • Jenkin Hill Internet
Re: Integrating Virtuemart into a Wordpress website
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 23:52:38 pm »
Do not use Artisteer unless you want a lot of js & css issues. Joomla 1.5 and VM1.1 are no longer supported, so you should be using Joomla 2.5 with VM2 anyway. But VM2 is currently designed to work in the Joomla framework, so I see no point in complicating things by wrapping everything in Wordpress. And I'm not aware of anyone else who has done such a thing! Especially since templating Joomla is not difficult and even if you can't roll your own there are hundreds of commercial/third party templates available, and hundreds of extensions.

You can if course use a bridge so the Wordpress can be used within Joomla..... https://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/social-web/social-edition/blog-integration/17095

I am not anti-WP, I have several WP sites, but also a lot of Joomla installations.  I just find Joomla to be more flexible and extendable.
Kelvyn

Jenkin Hill Internet,
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Unsolicited PMs/emails will be ignored.

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Currently using VirtueMart 3.8.9.10473 on Joomla 3.9.28 PHP 7.4.14

deputt

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 07:26:30 am »
We have a website running Joomla 1.5.22 (more than 1,200 customers) + Virtuemart 1.1.8 (more than 1,200 active products) + PHP 5.2.17. Would you recommend that we don't "fix what is broken" or change/upgrade? If change/upgrade, what would you recommend: Joomla, WordPress, or other?

boekhouderRotterdam

• Beginner
  • Professional
    • boekhouder Rotterdam
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 22:08:59 pm »
hi guys,

is it possible from wordpress to joomla? without starting from zero? like exporting your page or something like that?
My website runs on wordpress butt i wanna try joomla..

boekhouder Rotterdam btw my website

jenkinhill

• UK Web Developer & Consultant
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • Always on vacation
    • Jenkin Hill Internet
Kelvyn

Jenkin Hill Internet,
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Unsolicited PMs/emails will be ignored.

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Currently using VirtueMart 3.8.9.10473 on Joomla 3.9.28 PHP 7.4.14