Setting up Free Shipping after a certain amount of purchase

Started by Ffragrances, October 09, 2012, 09:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ffragrances

Hello, I am using the latest version of Joomla 2.5 and I have the latest version of Virtuemart 2 as well, and PHP5.3. I have a test site running in a sub directory and was just about ready to go to replace my old 1.5 site, which is still live in my root directory. and I totally forgot about setting up free shipping for orders $60.00 and above. I have seen some threads on how to set VM2 up for just free shipping, but not after a certain dollar amount.

Can this be done with VM2, as in older versions? If so what do I need to do to set this up. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks............ :)

John2400

Hi just set up in the shipping a minimum amount - for shipping to be free - but make sure you open up all the other fields if this applies to everyone. Best idea to leave them just blank - except for maybe zip codes - test and trial there but that is an easy way.

* also you will need to set limits on your other shipping set ups that stop at say 59.99 cents - or you will have two shipping choices showing up - one free the other with a cost -  I'm sure they will pick free.  maybe even call it free shipping at $60+

[attachment cleanup by admin]

balai

Is it possible to auto-select the correct shipping according to the shipping settings?

Ffragrances

Quote from: balai on October 09, 2012, 17:02:50 PM
Is it possible to auto-select the correct shipping according to the shipping settings?

Auto Selection would be nice once the customer reached the dollar amount. There must be a fairly easy way to to that with a script or something. I had it on the older versions. I am going to start studying harder and learn more JS and PHP, so I have to ask less questions on here, and because I just want to learn how to do it myself. But in the meantime if anyone knows how to assist that would be awesome. :)

Ffragrances

I find it odd that that code was not included in this version of Virtuemart. That was part of the shop configuration in previous versions. the label for input box was ""vendor_freeshipping". Anyone around know why that was not included? Does not make since, as that is sort of a basic feature that should have also been part of the setup....... hmmmm

John2400

Well yes you an set up auto shipping and the answer to the other question is that it takes about 3 seconds to do so why bother adding it in.- It allows for free shipping under 1000s of variables that shop keepers want . eg some want only free to a local post codes so you have to type in your local post code.

Others want it free after $60.00

Ffragrances

Quote from: John2400 on October 09, 2012, 22:32:10 PM
Well yes you an set up auto shipping and the answer to the other question is that it takes about 3 seconds to do so why bother adding it in.- It allows for free shipping under 1000s of variables that shop keepers want . eg some want only free to a local post codes so you have to type in your local post code.

Others want it free after $60.00

Well, I am speaking of auto shipping selection for the customer. Yes you can now set up free shipping, but the customer has to go select it. The auto selection feature in VM2 only works if there is one option of shipping left. I am using the VM teams USPS module that cost me $60 US dollars. So I use it to quote the rates from USPS, but want to offer the customer free shipping with orders 60 and up. They can do that, but they still have to select it from the select shipping page instead of it just automatically doing so for them when they hit the 60 trigger. Customers do not always understand what they are seeing and get confused. You and I would easily figure it out but many folks would look at the cart and go "where is my free shipping". Then might just close it out and cost us sales... It would be another great option to have in promoting VM2 as well as other plugins and modules for those that create them.

The previous versions of VM would let  you do this from the VM core. It was under the shop configuration and you could select whatever the amount was and it did not matter what other modules you used. It is just a better customer experience when they order that amount and it automatically can be done. I have contacted the USPS developers and asked if they could put in a maximum dollar amount like the basic module that is included so that you could set it to..... say a maximum for that  module at $59.99, and the when the customer hit $60+ that module would stop and the free setup you showed how to put into place would then be the only module still active, and then and only then  the current option of auto select would be triggered.

I hope that makes sense. I have my current live VM 1.1 site running this way and the selection that made it work is in the VM setup. Not available in the new version.

Old option here:

Generates this for customer in cart without them doing anything except purchasing the proper amount of goods:

This would be great if we could get this same type of setup, especially after forking out $60 bucks for the USPS shipping module and trying to setup something that was easy and free before.. Just saying.. :)

John2400

You can set up auto free shipping VM2.

Your customer should not have to select anything if you have your settings correct. I have it for amounts and for certain zip codes?

Ffragrances

Quote from: John2400 on October 10, 2012, 07:45:55 AM

Your customer should not have to select anything if you have your settings correct. I have it for amounts and for certain zip codes?

Yes, you can set the included VM shipping module up for that. I get that. But if you are using the VM teams USPS module also http://extensions.virtuemart.net/all-tutorials/8-shipment/6-installation-and-configuration-of-usps ,
along with the basic module as your free shipping option you cannot do the second part of what you suggested to do when you explained how to set this all up on your first reply to this post.

Quote "* also you will need to set limits on your other shipping set ups that stop at say 59.99 cents - or you will have two shipping choices showing up - one free the other with a cost ".

That is the issue. There are two options and you cannot get around it. Their USPS module does not have any options to limit it. So the customer has to still click on the select shipping method and go to that page so that they can select and save the free shipping option.

Since it seems no one is going to try and fix it, if I can ever find out how it is done in VM1.1,  I will try and replicate it in VM2.

In the old versions of VM you did not have to do that. My current site is set up that way, because the core had that option. It overrides the other modules.

John2400

Ok - I know just who to send this to.

* I notice that this is a purchased item from the extensions portal - let me me forward this post to Valérie - who wrote your USPS software ( I think)> maybe for an answer or at least to look at your issue. Much better than I in regards to your problem.

tojsha

Hi,

I need your help in setting up free shipping in a certanin area (zip code based). I am working with VM2 and Joomla 2.5. Could you please give me a hint?

Thanks!

Quote from: John2400 on October 10, 2012, 07:45:55 AM

en jie rudd

Hi

Can someone please tell me where the 'minimum amount for free shipping' options is? I am using VM 2.0.26d, I have an option for 'Minimum purchase order value for your shop: ' but nothing for 'minimum amount for free shipping' as in VM 1.1

Thanks in advance

En Jie

jenkinhill

Setting is "Minimum Amount for Free Shipment" in Standard Shipment method editor on Configuration tab. 
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

en jie rudd

Thank you. It appears the problem lays in the VM Aus post shipping plugin we use. It does not offer a free shipping option. Need to explore further to solve this.

Many thanks

En Jie

jenkinhill

You could add a second shipping option using the standard plugin to trigger at your minimum purchase rate. The people would have the option of selecting free - or pay through Aus post.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum