News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Featured Products Slide Show Module

Started by Eternity, October 07, 2012, 16:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eternity

Hi

In the old version of VM that I used, I had a feature where products would scroll in a module.  I have found the best sales and featured products modules, but none of these are scrolling through the products selected.

Is this because of configuration errors or because it is no longer a feature in VM2?

Please could someone assist me urgently as I have about 10 products that I need to scroll through by themselves.

Thanks

bytelord

Hello,

You should create a template override for vm product module and use some javascript / jquerry to accomplish that.
I have done it using jcarousel plugin for jquerry and some css/php/html changes.

btw, you could use the following simple extension, that is also for free: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/virtuemart-extensions/virtuemart-products-display/18639

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

Eternity

thanks for the speedy reply, i have to go out now for a couple of hours, will look into this when i get back. thanks again.

Eternity

hi

I do not know how to do the template over ride thing, does that not mean that it will stop using the VM template completely? 

I did try using that plugin you gave me the link to, but it breaks the whole site with an error.  Currently I am trying to figure out if I can fix the error. Else I need to see if I can find something that will work.

Thanks for your help.

jenkinhill

Template overrides were introduced with Joomla 1.5 and are easy to use once you have tried the first one... You only override the output that you want to. Information/primers for this are on http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Hints_for_the_use_of_the_template_system

There may be a pre-buit scroller in our third party dev section - http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?board=135.0
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Eternity

Thanks Jenkinhill

I do not know where to begin with creating a template over ride, I also do not know whether I am looking to make a joomla template over ride or a VM template over ride, do you perhaps know of any links that provide step by step blonde friendly instructions on how to do this?

Thanks

bytelord

Hello,

jenkinhill suggest you a link, some other links that will help you are:

Template overrides: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=98505.0
Using firebug to examine your code & css styling: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=102850.0

Template overrides mean that you copy vm template files to your custom template folder under your_joomla_folder/templates/html/com_vituemart/layout/file.php

For example if we want to override the default.php file for product details. This file is located under
your_joomla_folder\components\com_virtuemart\views\productdetails\tmpl\default.php
Copy that file under: your_joomla_folder\templates\your_joomla_folder\html\com_virtuemart\productdetails\default.php
if the folders com_virtuemart and productdetails does not exist, you create them.

In the post above and jenkinhill post you will find useful information how you could override CSS styling also.This is how joomla template system works!

Just remember when you are making changes to the templates is always better to override them because after a vm update you gonna loose all your changes you made.

Regards

Eternity

thanks, I will look into this more and hopefully come right.  As for changing the VM css and loosing it, done that!!! But I know what changes I made where so when I updated I just re-uploaded the files I changed and they work fine again.

Thanks for your help.

Eternity

bytelord, can you tell me if jcarousel is compatible with J 1.5.26 ? I have downloaded 2 of them now and both give me an error on install stating that the xml file is missing in the package.

As for the template override, I understand what it is and how it works now (I think) but my home page and modules are using my Joomla template NOT the vm template. 

Where I am wanting the featured products to scroll (like they use to in VM1) is in a module.

Please could you help?  Thanks :)

bytelord

Hello,

I think those are for joomla 2.5. Why you not upgrade to joomla 2.5 or make a new installation with j25 and transfer there your VM. Joomla 1.5 is not supported anymore.
Your home page could be anything, vm or non vm related, does not change something.
I have to created ti but some other time maybe, you still can find some of them free over the web, like http://www.magictoolbox.com/static/com_virtuemart2_magicscroll.zip
But i am not using joomla 1.5 anymore.

Reagrds

bytelord

Eternity

thanks bytelord, i cant upgrade to 2.5 because of the template. the site has to go live on friday, so i have to do what i can with what i have an consider upgrading joomla once i have the template compatible with the new version.

thanks for your help.

bytelord

Hello,

For that reason you cannot install most of the third-party extensions, cause extensions for vm 2.0.x is compatible with joomla 2.5 only.

Regards

Eternity

Hello

so basically its a case of we stick with the flash thing that I have managed to get working or we dont have featured products scrolling at all?

Is there no other way to make the featured products module scroll?

Thanks for your help.

bytelord

Hello,

You have to override your vm product module template and create one new using any jquery carousel plugin with ul/ui option.

Regards