News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

cant stop categories from showing up with featured products

Started by adamjedgar, October 06, 2012, 01:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamjedgar

hi guys,
I have spent hours trying to figure this out (perhaps too long)

3 problems

1. I cannot seem to stop my product categories from displaying on the main shopping page. In fact, I cannot stop it from displaying at all on any of the virtuemart pages.
how to I turn this pesky mongrel thing off???

My aim is to only have product categories show up in the side bar...and the products themselves alongside it in the main body of the page.

2. when I activate the manufactuer module...it seems to be functioning a little weird. If the user clicks on a manufactuer in the sidebar, they get a small button in the next view asking if they want to display products for that manufactuer.

Why is virtuemart doing this? the user has already decided they want to show products by manufacturer when they clicked the manufacture in the damn sidebar!!! (I need to remove this stupid button and simply show the manufacturers products directly from the sidebar selection)
In order to see this for your self...my website is computersimulators.com.au (its in very early stages of development so go easy me with unrelated critiques please)

3. In the backend administrator...im getting some weird stuff happening too...take a look at the attached file and you will see what is happening. It seems to be related to the category images. (is it because I don't have any images in my categories yet???)

Anyone know how to fix this?

[attachment cleanup by admin]

bytelord

Hi,

The first i will suggest is to update your vm version! As i see on the screenshot is 2.0.6! Is too old. You should upgrade to 2.0.10 or 2.0.12.

1. From the backend Configuration-> Templates uncheck "Show children categories" and try again. Are you using template overrides? If yes try to to disable them for a moment.

2. Get's you to manufacturers page (description, web site, mail, logo), from then you can show the products. btw, you could use the free version of custom filters for that You can use the free version of custom filters for that. Manufacturers filter contains the Any Manufacturer which returns all products without the categories list. Take a look over here: http://breakdesigns.net/extensions/custom-filters

3. Bad installation may be (language files missing) or PHP issue, whats your PHP and joomla version?

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

adamjedgar

oh dear,

i hadnt checked that as i thought i used the download version straight of vm website. since i only downloaded it a couple of days ago i didnt check to see if there was a more recent version. I wonder if i accidently ftp'd up to the server an older version i had on my computer instead of the new one i downloaded off vm website by mistake (silly me)

while im on that topic...for some reason i cannot directly install vm to my site using the installer in extensions. i keep getting server errors. I have to manually install it. how do i fix that problem?

(btw, i dont know anything about coding an appropriate ini file to save in my web host directory to configure max_upload_file_ size, or the memory code...but i can copy it from my other website if needed)

Where do i normally go to edit template overrides? Perhaps the new template i installed has done that?

it did give me an information message saying that some language file was missing but it only happened once, i resfreshed the screen and now the message doesnt display anymore.

bytelord

Hello,

On your first issue that you can't install vm, please try to download from http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files the tar.gz files and not zip, which are smaller and PHP doesn't break with max_upload_size if is over 2mb.

If you want to copy your whole site the BEST solution is to use akeeba backup, the free edition, is fantastic and you can transfer your site in minutes! Backups the whole joomla site and the database and create a new installation that can be applied easy as installing joomla.
Look here: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-a-security/site-security/backup/1606

On your last question, you could check under your_joomla_folder/templates/your_joomla_template/html/com_virtuemart, if the folder com_virtuemart exists, inside should be the views that overrides, e.g. category/default.php, that overrides the default view on category view.

More information regarding overrides could be found here: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=98505.0
Joomla template system: http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Hints_for_the_use_of_the_template_system

Regards

adamjedgar

Quote from: bytelord on October 06, 2012, 04:04:41 AM
Hi,

The first i will suggest is to update your vm version! As i see on the screenshot is 2.0.6! Is too old. You should upgrade to 2.0.10 or 2.0.12.

1. From the backend Configuration-> Templates uncheck "Show children categories" and try again. Are you using template overrides? If yes try to to disable them for a moment.

Regards

1. For some reason my site backend is not showing latest version...but I do have latest version in both Joomla and virtuemart. Why is that???

Eh, what. I don't have that option. In Joomla 2010, exactly where is it supposed to be???

bytelord

Hello,

Clean your joomla and browser cache. If it is updated should show the right version! When you update, you update both core and aio extensions.

Take a look at the attached image

adamjedgar

Can i just say before i start,

i really appreciate the help i have been receiving from you guys...its really great to get on forum that have people willing to provide repeated input into questions. On some other forums (particularly those for various addon extensions), one is lucky to even get a single response...let alone ongoing input. One of the WordPress compatible shopping cart developers doesnt even have a forum anymore...they have moved it all across to "User Voice" (you have to pay for it i think). What an absolute load of crudd that is...open source addon and you have to pay to get on a community forum.

once again Thanks guys!

Ok back to the real topic...

1. oh i havent updated the aio cause it wont install for me using the upload and installer (im going to see if i can manually do it)

previously, i had to manually upload and install virtuemart also...ill try it all again with the 2012 release.

Ok, i had to manually update virtuemart to 2012...and the "Joomla>Extensions>Extensions manager>upload and install" worked for " Virtuemart aio 2012".

2. btw i found that warning message im getting when i click on virtuemart >configuration. It still remains even after i manually installed Virtuemart 2012.

here it is

Warning: sprintf() [function.sprintf]: Too few arguments in /home/compsimu/public_html/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/helpers/config.php on line 102

what does it mean?

adamjedgar

Oops, no wonder i couldnt get it right...i wasnt looking in the right place. its actually in Virtuemart>Configuration>Templates>

My attached image also shows the crazy text with all the "_" between words (have a look at the right hand side of image) and the warning message directly above Virtuemart

------------------------------------

Ok, i had to manually update virtuemart to 2012...and the "Joomla>Extensions>Extensions manager>upload and install" worked for " Virtuemart aio 2012".

2. btw i found that warning message im getting when i click on virtuemart >configuration. It still remains even after i manually installed Virtuemart 2012.

here it is

Warning: sprintf() [function.sprintf]: Too few arguments in /home/compsimu/public_html/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/helpers/config.php on line 102

what does it mean?

bytelord

Hello,

Thanks for the comments :)

If you are using other language than en-GB update them also. You can download them here: http://dev.virtuemart.net/attachments/download/491/com_virtuemart.2.0.12_languages_extract_first.zip

As i see still says you are using 2.0.6. Clean your joomla tml folder, refresh information under update aio, clean joomla cache.

Regards

adamjedgar

updated using the akeeba updater...didnt really make any differencek. akeeba says its 2010 k5 (what ever that is) but joomla is clearly displaying 257 underneath straight after the update.

strange really

i have seen some other topics about this i might go read them and see what is doing

bytelord

Hello,

The version saying is nothing to worry about. Take a look over here: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=108411

The language can be installed from joomla 2.5 extension manager. Download them from the url above.

Regards

adamjedgar

just in case someone doesnt want to code, would simply creating a 1x1 px thumbnail and uploading and saving from here in adminsitration work?

adamjedgar

woops wrong place.
i meant change it here

bytelord