News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Zero weight products error out in checkout w/ UPS v2.0

Started by allen1, March 06, 2010, 22:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allen1

I've spent hours reading this forum, looking for an answer, but can't find one.

I have zero weight products (services) that I sell.  To prevent VM from charging sales tax on a service, I have to have the products set to zero weight.

The problem occurs when a customer tries to buy one of the services and then checkout.  UPS v2.0 tries to get a UPS amount, but errors out due to the zero weight.

The specific errors are:

Notice: We are unable to ship UPS as an error occured. Please select another shipping method.
Notice: The error was: UPS cannot process a zero weight order.

So, my question is this:   How can I tell UPS v2.0 to not try and get a UPS amount for a specific product?

If I give it a weight and set the shipping modifier to zero, VM charges sales tax, but it works otherwise.

If I take the weight off, there's no tax, but I can't get past the UPS shipping rate error.

Any ideas on how to approach this, please?  UPS v2.0 is a great UPS solution, and this is the only snag I've found with it. 

lowmips

Yes, zero weight items will give you issues.  I believe there is a "Shipping Bypass" modification somewhere in these forums.  You could implement that.  Or, if you'd like to underwrite a modification for the UPSv2 module to skip certain products altogether, we could go that route.

-Reggie
Visit my website at www.lowmips.com
View my newsletters Here (sign up for newsletters on the front page of my website)

murrayzz1

Unless you have very light products, there is an easy workaround to this.

First, create a Shipping Rate called "FREE SHIPPING", with a rate of zero, minimum weight of zero and maximum weight of 0.1g.

Now, instead of creating a zero weight product, set the product's weight to 0.01g.

Job done! Your "zero weight" product will now appear with the "FREE SHIPPING" rate of zero displayed.

Depending on your other settings, you might need to set all other Shipping Rates to a minimum weight of 0.1g.