News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Sort Order of Products & Child Products

Started by RuggeroSB, September 10, 2012, 13:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KooTjoo

I totally agree, it can't be that difficult to achieve this. The child product ordering is essential. Please inform if a solution is on the way. It is better to get a negative response than no response at all.

KooTjoo

PolishedGeek

Hello -

I can offer a viable workaround for many custom field frustrations, as long as you don't need parent/child products. We created a new extension was built for a much larger purpose, but it can also easily solve many custom field challenges like the inability to sort options in a dropdown list however you like.

A client recently came to us a few months ago with a challenge: Enable VM2 to handle interdependent custom fields, including database lookups outside of VM2, with conditional fields and cross-field validation. This client needed to sell a bespoke tailored product that requires almost 40 (yes forty!) custom option choices.

As you can imagine - this type of complex custom field setup simply can't be done in standard VM2 without some serious hacking. And to the best of my knowledge, you can't really do it in any other Joomla eCommerce extension either.

So being the stubborn Geeks that we are, :) we finally found a way to make it happen - with NO hack!

We created an extension  to seamlessly integrate a completely custom Crosstec Breezing Form into the custom field area of a VirtueMart 2 product. Because BreezingForms is a fully featured form development component, this means that you can do all those great things you expect from best selling form design software,  then use that form as the way to capture product options and attributes for a VM2 product.

And of course, because you are using a form design component, you can control the ordering of dropdown options and other product selection fields almost any way you want.

If you think this sounds like it might help you, here's a link to our documentation to learn more: http://docs.polishedgeek.com/wiki/display/BFCUSTOM . There's a also a YouTube video there that explains it a bit more.

You also can learn about what you can do with the form component by Crosstec here: Crosstec BreezingForms http://crosstec.de/en/extensions/joomla-forms-download.html 

P.S.
Please note that while this integration CAN adjust product prices, it only tracks stock at a product level. It does NOT track stock by each individual form option answer. So it's not an alternative to parent/child products if you need to track stock in detail by options/attributes.  From reviewing the thread here, it sounds like it could help several people with their VM2 custom field problems. 

P.P.S. - I hope this post is acceptable here in this forum because it offers a specific solution to VM2 challenges posted. If this is not acceptable,  I will be happy to remove the post. Just let me know.  Thanks!

~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

onnj

Same here Im wondering how will it be solve http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=109165.0 haha. . . Please solve the issue VirtueMart Please???

KooTjoo

QuoteP.S.
Please note that while this integration CAN adjust product prices, it only tracks stock at a product level. It does NOT track stock by each individual form option answer. So it's not an alternative to parent/child products if you need to track stock in detail by options/attributes.  From reviewing the thread here, it sounds like it could help several people with their VM2 custom field problems.

And unfortunately this is exactly what I need: stock control at attribute level. Shame because I use Breezing Forms a lot and love it!

KooTjoo

KooTjoo

The only way to achieve this (what I have found out so far) is:

Change it directly in the database.

In the virtuemart_product_customfields table change the custom_param

RuggeroSB

Quote from: KooTjoo on October 25, 2012, 14:13:47 PM
The only way to achieve this (what I have found out so far) is:

Change it directly in the database.

In the virtuemart_product_customfields table change the custom_param
Sure - those who know how can. Try telling that to a "dumb" end user! Besides that's not a solution, just a workaround, and not a pretty one at that.

KooTjoo

QuoteSure - those who know how can. Try telling that to a "dumb" end user! Besides, that's not a solution.

I know it is not a solution, but I don't see other option.

RuggeroSB

Quote from: KooTjoo on October 25, 2012, 17:39:37 PM
I know it is not a solution, but I don't see other option.
I agree - that's exactly the problem!

KooTjoo

Thought I had "solved" it with the changes in the database. But Virtuemart doesn't like that and as soon as you save the product again in VM, VM rearranges it back to how it was.

Does anybody know if the developers even know that this is a big problem?

blans

You bet they do... Since I already mentioned this in 2006! http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=81241.msg267720#msg267720

We don't need instant solutions but a simple short reply to this thread would be nice.

We are trying to stay civilized on this forum but it seems the boiling-point of some members here is already reached on this topic.

Can Dev Team please respond to the status of the Ordering problems in Virtuemart...
Multilingual VM Webshop
Joomla 1.5.26
VM 1.1.9
Joomfish 2.1.7
Artio JoomSEF 3.8.2
CSVi VM 3.8.1

VM2 has the power of Magento and the usability of Opencart. I just can't get it to do what I managed to do with VM1 for so long...

togglewa

G'day, The solution that worked for me.. while not the best.. we still have to use what we have to make what we have :D

I'm using Virtuemart 2.0.14 but I'm sure it'll work on any 2.0.x

Find file and edit: /administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/products.php

Then Search for: $q .= ' GROUP BY `virtuemart_product_id` ORDER BY ordering DESC';

Then replace it with the following:
         $q .= ' GROUP BY `virtuemart_product_id` ORDER BY product_name';
//         $q .= ' GROUP BY `virtuemart_product_id` ORDER BY ordering DESC';

Now you can change 'product_name' with any of the following filters:
'product_name', '`p`.created_on', '`p`.product_sku', 'product_s_desc', 'product_desc', 'category_name', 'category_description', 'mf_name', 'product_price', 'product_special', 'product_sales', 'product_availability', 'product_available_date', 'product_height', 'product_width', 'product_length', 'product_lwh_uom', 'product_weight', 'product_weight_uom', 'product_in_stock', 'low_stock_notification', '`p`.modified_on', 'product_unit', 'product_packaging', '`p`.virtuemart_product_id', 'ordering'

Hope it helps someone.. with the inbetween flight times to the solution ;)

Peace

Henrik Holm Nielsen

Quote from: togglewa on November 26, 2012, 11:39:37 AM
G'day, The solution that worked for me.. while not the best.. we still have to use what we have to make what we have :D

I'm using Virtuemart 2.0.14 but I'm sure it'll work on any 2.0.x

Find file and edit: /administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/products.php

Then Search for: $q .= ' GROUP BY `virtuemart_product_id` ORDER BY ordering DESC';

Then replace it with the following:
         $q .= ' GROUP BY `virtuemart_product_id` ORDER BY product_name';
//         $q .= ' GROUP BY `virtuemart_product_id` ORDER BY ordering DESC';

Now you can change 'product_name' with any of the following filters:
'product_name', '`p`.created_on', '`p`.product_sku', 'product_s_desc', 'product_desc', 'category_name', 'category_description', 'mf_name', 'product_price', 'product_special', 'product_sales', 'product_availability', 'product_available_date', 'product_height', 'product_width', 'product_length', 'product_lwh_uom', 'product_weight', 'product_weight_uom', 'product_in_stock', 'low_stock_notification', '`p`.modified_on', 'product_unit', 'product_packaging', '`p`.virtuemart_product_id', 'ordering'

Hope it helps someone.. with the inbetween flight times to the solution ;)

Peace

Touchdown  - worked for me!
Ofcourse not a longterm solution, but good enough for me to progress while waiting for a permanent solution to this one!

J2.5.8 and VM2.0.14:)

Thanx mate!
/Zorroson :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Billigt og professionelt design af din hjemmeside | Brug for en billig, flot og professionel hjemmeside?

RuggeroSB

@togglewa thanks for your workaround in regards to sorting products, but like you and others have said it's hardly a solution. It certainly doesn't fix broken UI interfaces, and custom ordering still does not work since either they don't exist or youi can't change them!

Furthermore, this does not solve all the other sort options which do not work in the rest of the application.

Interesting to note this issue is still being ignored, despite all the attention given to it.

AISweb

What a mess. We have lots of child products set up and this is going to take time and money to hack the database to reorder them.
(On a related issue, we've given up any hope of having Stock levels per attribute, e.g. red size 10 is in stock, blue size 10 is sold out etc)

What's happened to VM support ?

RuggeroSB, what was the alternative that you purchased ?
Have used VM on dozens of sites, but we're not going to use it again.
Really looks like support has stopped and the once mighty VirtueMart is fading away now.

Milbo

AISweb, it is really strange what you expect. It never was different. Look how much valerie , bytelord, jenkinhill, jjk and me are answering. Stocklevel per attribute is there, with various ways. Why no one of you use the stockable plugin, which is working fine with 2.0.14.

and please look here http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=108844.msg373255#msg373255

and why the hell you guys scream and damn here instead of just writing a pn? There are every day dozens of new threads and posts. Checking the forum is a fulltime job, who should do it? If no one of the team is answering a serious problem, than it is 100% that we busy, with coding, bug fixing, writing for vm.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member