News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

[SOLVED] Parent/Child... almost finish but not.

Started by DaggaTora, August 28, 2012, 09:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaggaTora

Hi,

I've read lots of posts about generic child variants but i can't find a proper way to do it (sure that i didn't find the post with the final solution):

1- I have a parent called "Backpack 1" with a color generic child variant custom field with cart attribute, ontop layout and set to Product Alias. Parent is not orderable.
2- I have 2 childs "Backpack 1 blue" and "Backpack 1 black".

There are some possible scenarios, but none of them works for me. The one that i think is the closest to what i need is:

SCENARIO:

1- Parent stock=0
2- Parent categorized in category "Backpacks"
3- Childs stock=100
4- Childs uncategorized so they don't appear in the category view

RESULTS OF SCENARIO 1:

1- When I click on parent in the category view it takes me to the parent but there is a Notify button that it shouldn't be there (because of stock=0 but parent is suppose to be non orderable).
2- When I click the color dropdown menu it shows: "Backpack 1 blue" and "Backpack 1 black". I've tried to change the custom field to show the sku, the alias, everything, but it always shows the child product name. I would like to see "Blue" and "Black".

I've tried to unpublish parent, uncategorize one child, change alias, url, product names... but nothing works as it should work (or as Milbo would say: nothing works as you think it should work ;) ... and he is right the most of time). I need the parent name in category view, but once you click on it it should take you to a preferred child  as Milbo said here: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=102205.msg348676#msg348676 or at list hte button "Add to cart" should not appear until you select a child or while the checkbox of "parent orderable" is uncheked.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Joomla 2.5.17 | VM2.0.26d | PHP 5.3.28

DaggaTora

Joomla 2.5.17 | VM2.0.26d | PHP 5.3.28