News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Parent-Child products with stock control

Started by billkou, August 11, 2012, 16:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billkou

Hello people.

I have a Joomla installation running on a vm machine on Host Virtual provider ( www.vr.org ).

Joomla 1.5.23 + Virtuemart 1.1.9.

The store is an adult toys and lingerie shop, with a wide variety of products ( around 10-11K products ).

Even though it's setup pretty well regarding categories/products and product types as of recently, I want to make it even better by adding the following feature.

In the lingerie section, there are products that are practically the same, but of different size. They have different SKU's and I'm not using attributes because the stock is updated daily from a csv file I receive from the wholesale dealer. Therefore I need to have everything arranged by stock amounts.

I want to be able to nest the different SKU's of the same product into one. The tricky thing is this : I have " show products out of stock" disabled because not everything is available, and I want the shop to look like 99.9% of the products are immediately available to the customer. Therefore, I need to make a parent-child connection that is somehow affected by the daily stock change. This is impossible right now, because in order to have a parent-child product base, I need to create a parent product that has a dummy SKU and put it always in stock so that the childs are visible.

The shop has to be able to hide the out of stock products, automatically of course - when all the childs and the parent go out of stock -, and modify the product browse page in order to show the Add to cart button and on top of that the options for the customer to choose the lingerie's size. ( <--- this is not as much of a priority as the main feature, but I'd like to see it as well )

You can take a look at how this could work in the following website :

http://www.bedroompleasures.co.uk/sex-toys/Sexy-Lingerie.108/Basques-Corsets-Bustiers.163/

You can see these products having an option on top of the cart button for the size of the garment, and if it's in stock or not. I've also seen a different example of this, where child options appear ONLY if they're in stock, and the whole parent-child products disappear from the list by itself when all of the options are out of stock ( and re-emerging when at least one has at least a stock amount of 1 )

Is this even possible in Virtuemart? Are there any other ideas of such an implementation? I'm willing to hear your suggestions and open to dialog on how we could make this work.

This is the only feature that needs to be done on my webshop before I consider it technically perfect, and I hope there's a solution somehow.

You can state your rate as well, if there's a valid solution, we can discuss on how to do it and of course I'm willing to pay if the job is done as described.

Thanks a lot in advance.