News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

VM Search module with categories

Started by notanothernumber, July 16, 2012, 06:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notanothernumber

Does anyone now a module that allows you to regulate a search within a selected virtuemart category? Basically all I want is a search field (text) and a drop down box next to it to show and regulate the virtuemart category searched.

Cheers
Martin

mowgs

Try Custom Filters, made by Balai on the forum

notanothernumber

Hi Mowgs
Thanks for this, I've downloaded and tried the free version to get a general idea of your product (here if anyone interested - http://breakdesigns.net/extensions/custom-filters) but it doesn't totally tick the boxes for me. I can see you have a professional version available as well and before I commit I want to ensure it has the functionality I'm looking for.

If you look at attachment you'll see on the left how the free version works where you select a category and it simply jumps to that selection and displays all the products in that category. What I want to be able to do is enter information into the standard vm shop search text field (i.e. a band name) like displayed at the top then tick a category from the list below and then search for that keyword in those categories ONLY. Can you please confirm the paid version does this?

Cheers
Martin

[attachment cleanup by admin]

mowgs

Hi, aah - no sorry it doesnt have a text box, but can filter by custom fields, so you could have a list of bands in the same way as the categories?

If not, try 'Virtuemart Products Ajax Search'  It didn't quite do what I wanted it to do, but I think it should fit what you want quite nicely.
Both plugins had good support from developers, including adding functionality when requested!

notanothernumber

HI mowgs thanks for that but from what I've seen they don't appear to have brought out a version for vm2 and joomla 2.5 yet. I couldn't really list the bands to be honest as likely to be tens of thousands of them and that would be one seriously long list!! Does anyone know a developer who might want to take this on and develop it as a module for some extra $?

Cheers
Martin

notanothernumber

sorry I just found the one you were on about here - http://vmajaxsearch.ext4joomla.com/ - and appears to be good to go. I will contact for their advice on whether meets my required functionality. Cheers for your help

Minisuit

Uses the Ajax method for searching. It provides the attractive effects, it can also show the result quickly in current page instead of loading new page. and which Search result quickly

balai

Quote from: Minisuit on July 31, 2012, 15:18:29 PM
Uses the Ajax method for searching. It provides the attractive effects, it can also show the result quickly in current page instead of loading new page. and which Search result quickly

You are missing a very crucial dissadvantage of the AJAX based applications. The absence of page URL.
A page which has no URL its like it does not exist as it cannot be bookmarked , shared in the social medias or index by the search engines.

All the major shops like ebay and amazon are not using AJAX. Its not coincidence