News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Questions about pricing for different groups & login

Started by bqwhitten, July 20, 2012, 21:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bqwhitten

I am running the latest stable joomla & virtumart versions at www.teambannersonline.com and my two questions are:

I will be selling to the public directly and I also sell to photographers. How do I offer one price to the public but then offer a discounted price for my photographer clients. I want the photographers to login and be able to see the discounted pricing I have arranged for them. Would they be considered a separate group or something?

Next, How can I create a separate login for photographers to use that will not allow the public access to same login and customer area for photographers?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or instructions given.

John2400

bqwhitten,

Nice site -

* Login - You could change the menu heading above registered to photographers only.
Or have a contact page that asks for proof of "professional status."

* Or the after guests register then - a reply emails would ask - a variety of questions. Or your register page could have a field that asks a few extra questions.

* If you allow guests to buy without registering then hide the  register (sections) just leave the login part showing on the  page and just add the professionals manually? That would be my be idea. 2.0.8 keeps a record of those guests who bought too, in the invoices and against the product. So is there a need for one off people to register?

* The groupings : every one who is a guest or registered - is automatically added to the "default group" - you do not have to add them to any special groups.

For special/professionals - then just create one group and put them in this group - then create a discount ( gold group) for just them - when they login the prices will be different for them. ( use taxes to give discount)

* for extra special - persons - you could create a coupon for them - ( discounts) etc.

* you can hide the login or simply create a page that you can attach to the email for your "professionals" and email them that page - hidden deep from the public eye.

bqwhitten

John

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I'll give them a try.

I have one more question: Can I change the wording in the "Ask A Question About This product"? If so how and where? Next can I can the link it has from a contact type form to another type of form such as a form designed with MachForms (http://www.appnitro.com/) so that when they click on it it they're taken to the new form?

Thanks again.

John2400

All text files live in the

language folder>>en_GB>>en_GB.com_com_virtuemart.ini  your about line 352?

or : ivus' answer here - I tried this and it is the better way - it will hold in updates
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=105224.msg350259#msg350259

I think a response to your second part is below - the movements between pages and forms for joomla are numerous, there are quite a few extensions in regards to login and registering ( many free) also you could design a form from quite a few software pieces.

However - If you simply have an email link on your page for Professionals to click on then you will have a more personal contact. They write to you - you offer a discount in your reply letter and they end up on your "personal list"  unless you expect 1000s? then put then in your special group.
Ok you get the idea-

* Or you leave the registration as is for a few weeks - see what happens - see who registers  after that - you can decide what you would like to do.

bqwhitten

I made the change to the "Ask A Question" based in Ivus suggestion to use overides. I now have the exact wording I want.

John,

First I want to thank you for the time you have given me. Your answers have been very good and I appreciate your assistance. I have one more question as follows:

Here's a clearer picture of what I need help with next:

I am going to use VirturMart in catalog mode and just show products & details. I am going to create an ordering form using MachForms form builder. It will ask a series of questions that I need the customer to answer so that I can fully customize their product. This ordering form will also allow for uploads of photos that I will need to use in the final product design. Finally it will have a PayPal payment section so that the customer can pay for the customized product.

What I now want is to change the reworded "Ask A Question" button to a link to this order form so that customer can complete the order and pay. I am really bypassing VirtuMart's Shopping cart at the moment. just until some additional functionality is added to VirtuMart and I learn better how to use it.

Can you give me an explanation as to how and where I go to change the button to a link to the form.

John2400

Ok changing the code there I'm not too hot on > but I see ivus seems to have a good grasp on the links- go back to the previous link and ask - in a personal post there.
I'd like to know that answer - to adding another link to "ask a Question" too.

* Actually I got it to work ? I followed the same procedure and in the same language file I simple added some HTML code.
<a href="/old">[Ask a Question]</a>

the "/old" was just a folder I created on the same website - it could be any link you like.
Try that - It worked for me .

[attachment cleanup by admin]

ivus

Hi Everyone,

To change the link for ask a question, you can do it in the template override for "/productdetails/default.php".

Find the following code block:

<?php

// Ask a question about this product

if (VmConfig::get('ask_question'1) == '1') { ?>

<div class="ask-a-question">
            <a class="ask-a-question" href="<?php echo $url ?>" ><?php echo JText::_('COM_VIRTUEMART_PRODUCT_ENQUIRY_LBL'?></ a>
            <!--<a class="ask-a-question modal" rel="{handler: 'iframe', size: {x: 700, y: 550}}" href="<?php echo $url ?>"><?php echo JText::_('COM_VIRTUEMART_PRODUCT_ENQUIRY_LBL'?></ a>-->
        </ div>
    <?php ?>

and change it accrodingly to what ever you want.

You need to remember to change the class name, as "class="ask-a-question"" is connected to a jQuery event set to trigger off a modal window, but only if you want it to NOT open a modal.

<?php if (VmConfig::get('ask_question'1) == '1') { // Ask a question about this product ?>
      <div class="ask-question">
        <a class="ask-a-question-but" href="http://www.yourdomain.com/" target="_blank"><?php echo JText::_('COM_VIRTUEMART_PRODUCT_ENQUIRY_LBL'?></a>
      </div>
    <?php ?>

I hope this helps.

John2400

ivus,

Thanks - appreciate the help- and learnt a little today.bqwhitten- hope your site options work for you.

ivus

Hi John2400,

Firstly.. G'Day Mate!

Happy to help. I guess that's why we're all here.

I haven't used VM since 2009 and about 7 weeks ago I had to. There's been some major improvements (mostly the templating), but I had to get up to speed with all the new coding changes and conventions quick smart.

A strong foundation in PHP and jQuery certainly helps a lot.

Talk soon.