News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Price calculator for VM2 using dropdowns

Started by RCheesley, July 20, 2012, 15:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCheesley

Hi folks,

I wondered if anyone had created a price calculator type interface, allowing someone to choose from multiple dropdown options which modify the price accordingly?

We have a need to use, for example, a width and a height, and when the customer chooses them it calculates the appropriate price.

We've done a quick and dirty javascript tweak to make this work but the problem is that when the customer then decides to order another load (perhaps in different dimensions?) it just increases the quantity purchased (as it's the same item, effectively).

Any thoughts?

Ruth

balai

This cannot simply work creating custom fields?
Selecting different  custom options will add the products seperately in the cart.

Also if you want your user to select multiple products and their custom fields simultanesously, check Product Builder:
http://breakdesigns.net/extensions/vm-product-builder

RCheesley

I don't think so, because you have two fields with which to perform a cart modification - so for example:

Widths - 2m and 4m
Height - 1,1.5, 2, 2.5, 3,3.5

and so forth.  Depending on the combination of the two dropdowns, the price is calculated - from what I can see custom fields could be used to say 1m wide = £xx, 2m high = £yy, but not 1m wide by 2m high = £zz

If I am mistaken please enlighten!

Ruth

balai

If you want to set standard prices and not just addition to the base price, custom fields are not what you need.

I think that what you are looking for can be done only using child products.

Yes it needs much more work than just creating a dimensions matrix , but i assume that is your only option if you want to go with the built in features of VM.