News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Pre Configuration for Future Websites

Started by hfquei, July 10, 2012, 17:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfquei

I apologize if this has been discussed on another topic, but I researched for the answer and can't find it. This seems to be basic, but not for a newbie like me.

I will be providing services for a particular market (Brazil) that requires the use and configuration of several extensions such as payment gateways, delivery services, etc (paypal, fedex and others are of little or no use there). Also, currency and other settings can take quite some time to do. I fact, 99% of the websites we will produce will need the same features, which leads me to this question:

Is it possible to have Virtuemart installed, all these configurations done, and every time we have a new project, simply migrate them to use with a different template?

Regards

jenkinhill

This is easy. Build your intial website with all the configurations set up. Get it working OK and then copy it with Akeeba. When you need a new version of the site, take the Akeeba copy and install it on the new domain, change Joomla template fix any template overrides/css styles to suit the new template and there you have it.

You will need to periodically update the initial site with Joomla/VM updates as these will often be for security reasons. And then make updated Akeeba copies.

You only issue may be with plugins/3rd party addons if their t&cS restrict them to a single domain, as ypu may need new licences.

The key to all this is to use Akeeba!
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum