News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

tax based on state/shipping address

Started by winzor, June 01, 2012, 05:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winzor

Try your cart with registered users and see if tax shows in the guest cart. I'm using no groups and only one tax for one state.

John2400

OK I logged in as my test user- he has a specific address.

He had no tax.

Then I changed his address to that state and he received the tax?

winzor

Don't log in at all and add something to your cart. Does any tax show?

John2400

No, 

I can add as many products to my cart as a guest and there is no tax..

It only appears when I add that state in the address as I'm checking out to buy.

Look I do hope we get this right ?

Turn off all taxes and add a tax just like mine.

winzor

It must be fixed in 2.0.7, I wonder how long before its stable?

John2400

OK - there are few odd things in 2.0.7 -

Have a look in http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?board=136.0

this forum and see some of the issues being worked upon- some may not affect you.

Most stores can still run well on the test versions unless you have heavy tax issues or 1000s of attribute settings.

a simple buy and sell store really will have little issue in 2.0.7 test versions

winzor

I just tested J2.5.4 and VM2.0.7 using both Atomic and Beez5 and still the same issue with tax showing on guest cart. 

Here are my steps.

• Install J2.5.4
  • Install VM2.0.7
  • Added  one product and set price and weight and image
  • Set currency to U.S. dollar
  • Set to Tax per bill.
  • Set math operation to +%
  • Set country to United States
  • Set state to one specific state
  • Set Shopper groups to "default" also tried anonymous and none.
  • In shopper group, I set default to show all prices.
  • In anonymous shopper group I set it to show base price.
  • went to website and added the one product to cart.
  • Not logged in, looked at cart it shows price and then a separate line with tax

According to senior developer alatak, this is how it is suppose to function.
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=103594.msg344663#msg344663

I would like to know how to have it not do that.

John2400

5. set this to ''Price modifier for profit Range.''

no tax should appear. but price will show

gg1

Since I have the same set up and preference for how it should work as winzor, I tested your suggestion for #5, but I still got tax in the cart & sidebar.

I then scrolled through all the options for "Type of Arithmetic Operation", and while some of the options changed the tax rate displayed, none of the option removed the tax from the cart & sidebar for an anonymous user.

Thanks for trying! 

Quote from: Milbo
The value and the mathematical operation say whats todo with the given price.

In VM2 we follow always the rule, that when you do not enter anything specific it is not used.
Source:  http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=98642.0

The second statement there is very backwards to me and seems to be what causes this issue--if the customer doesn't enter a specific address, then all tax rules apply.

It that's true for all of VM2, then I don't know that it would be changed in 2.0.7 unless they specifically changed the way VM2 works.

John2400

My settings:

I have no groups set anywhere in the shop - don't set default - leave them blank as this is the shops original settings. 

You can set up default for users but customers who do not register can simply purchase without being set to anything. That includes products - leave them blank.

from here - my settings are shown below -  I am using 2.0.7 E version
* images the tax set turned on * the settings for showing prices * the cart with one state * the cart with a new state.  ( showing no tax showing in the cart but the state changed the price)

[attachment cleanup by admin]

winzor

I tried your settings and the tax did not show for guest but it also did not show for logged in user now.

hazer26

This may go without saying but I did find a work around...

When setting up your tax rule (Configuration >> Taxes and Calculation Rules), set the "Shopper Group" field to "default".

This will apply the rule to only those users who have registered (and therefore also have selected a state). When I'm not logged in, there's no tax...when I login under my account (Texas address), my tax rule for Texas applies.

Anyone who is not registered will not see tax applied anywhere.... The catch...guest checkout will never get taxed... so I force registration at checkout...

(I only have two shopper groups, Ananymous and Default)

Is there anyway we can have virtuemart look at the ship-to address of the guest shopper to calculate/add tax at checkout?

winzor

This is what I want but it does not work for me. What math calculation are you using?

Quote from: hazer26 on June 14, 2012, 04:52:30 AM
This may go without saying but I did find a work around...

When setting up your tax rule (Configuration >> Taxes and Calculation Rules), set the "Shopper Group" field to "default".

This will apply the rule to only those users who have registered (and therefore also have selected a state). When I'm not logged in, there's no tax...when I login under my account (Texas address), my tax rule for Texas applies.

Anyone who is not registered will not see tax applied anywhere.... The catch...guest checkout will never get taxed... so I force registration at checkout...

(I only have two shopper groups, Ananymous and Default)

Is there anyway we can have virtuemart look at the ship-to address of the guest shopper to calculate/add tax at checkout?

hazer26

see attached. Tax per product +% 8.25

[attachment cleanup by admin]

dsrpmedia

so the consensus is that you cannot use guest checkout in VM 2.0.6 without having EVERY tax rate applied before the shipping address is selected?

that`s pretty unfunctional - I think most peple who go to the cart & see every tax under the sun being applied to their order are going to just abandon the cart before going through the bother of adding their billing info & seeing the correct tax.

has anyone found a fix for 2.0.6?

if not, how bug-ridden / unstable is 2.0.7 - is it suitable for a live environment?