News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

A revision of the French translation

Started by newlog, May 09, 2012, 10:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newlog

Hello everyone

I wish to propose a new French translation of VM 2, based on a a set of clear-defined rules. After contacting jjk he proposed that I simply start a new topic in this forum.

The motivation for this is that translating from English to French is very peculiar, because of the many linguistic traps that arise from the common latin root of English and French. As a matter of fact, many mistranslations occur in the official French translations (see note below).

The rules I have laid out possess quite a wide scope:
Joomla 2.5.x + Community Builder 1.8.x + Virtuemart 2.x + JEvents 2.x + Akeeba Backup 3.4.x + Xmap 2.2.x

The details (in French) can be found here: Traduction_FR_pour_Joomla_CB_VM_JE_AB_XM_newlog.txt

Accordingly, I have proceeded to translate each of the above-mentionned extensions, as well as Joomla itself. This is of course not a translation from scratch: I have painstakingly checked (almost) every entry of the INI files, and corrected them if required.

As a result, the French Joomla is now completely understandable, with a clear semantics that greatly helps to learn and master the CMS. Also, the terminology is homogeneous across the various exensions, which removes much of the existing confusion.

The rules have already been adopted by JoomlaPolis for Community Builder, and the official French CB translation is now mine. Read more on this forum (in French).

Regarding VM, I am submitting here revised versions of VM 2.0.6 and AIO 2.0.6a. Please note the following:

• Only French and English have been retained in these versions
  • There are also minor corrections for the English version
  • There are also minor code corrections, for instance for hard-coded language strings, for some CSS files to avoid conflict with the built-in Joomla template, or for the choice of the language strings to be used in backend tabs. None of these code corrections alters the code logic itself.

I hope you will welcome this initiative positively.

Fabrice

NOTE. A simple way to check the revised translation is, for instance, to install the free version of Beyond Compare available here. It works on Windows and Linux, in French or English, and installs seamlessly. The demo version is sufficient to inspect the difference between two archives or folders for each file on a line-to-line basis. Of course I have no personnal interest in this software! :)

[EDIT 20-Sept-2012] This document has been updated, please check the new version! All other links have been disabled pending further updates.

alatak

Hi

QuoteThe rules have already been adopted by JoomlaPolis for Community Builder, and the official French CB translation is now mine. Read more on this forum (in French).
Please note that the link that you are giving us is not related to the official  french team translation team or to the french Joomla community.
The official french community website is this one: http://www.joomla.fr
It is important to follow the rules, and translation used by the official french translation team.
As I mentionned to you by mail, an example is the word template. If it has not been translated in Joomla, it should not be trnslated in VirtueMart.

QuoteRegarding VM, I am submitting here revised versions of VM 2.0.6 and AIO 2.0.6a.
Great :) 
We will have a look, and specially for me the french translation.

newlog

Thanks for your reply!

The point is that the "rules" of the French Joomla community have never been written down!

This gap I have intended to fill by publishing translation rules, and in doing so I could see no reason why, eg.,  template could not be translated too...

But never mind. Now that it is easy to offer an alternative French language pack, the question of whether one should follow some "official" translation is not so important.

What is important is that, globaly, a Joomla site has a clear internal semantics, all extensions considered.

Let us see where this leads...