News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Parent/child product = parent can still be ordered?

Started by jux, May 04, 2012, 10:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jux

Hello I have migrated my old Virtuemart 1.5 from the newest 2.0.6 and I regret already as there is many bugs!

I am using joomla 2.5.4::
My main problem is with my Parent / childs products

The main issue is : when i set up, in the custom field of the product A a Generic child variant (to show all the childs of the product A in the frontend)
the product A can still be ordered.
In the old version of VM when you wanted to order the parent a pop up window will lock it saying: please select your size first (meaning a child product).

To be more precise:

In my stock i have
Parent = Product A
Child = Product A-child1
            Product A-child 2

When i go to the frontend the Product A can be ordered and it should not allow me to order it? it should open a window saying you have to chose your size / color (meaning a child product : child 1 or child 2)

I did not have this issue with the old VM,
Anyone can please give me a hand , I could not find an answer in the VM forum.
Thank you

jux

ok I think I have spot a bug here , because I m not the only to get this error, and I have test and install on 3 differents computer with fresh download joomla 2.5.4 + vm 2.0.6 and the issue is still here:

*BUG find  with  the parent product /child

when you set up the stock of the parent product to =6
When the stock of the child product is coming to = 0 it takes automatically the stock of the parent (=6)

Moreover the parent product can be ordered which is not ok. (there should be a warning popup asking to choose a size or color first - meaining choosing a child product from the parent product)

I could set up the stock of the parent produt to = 0 but there will be a problem on the page of the parent product it will show= product out of stock or notify me which is measleading the customer that will think the product is not available.

Could you please let me know on how to fix this issue?
My e-commerce is stuck from opening because of this.

Thank you for the hard work , VM is such a great component!

uschmi

jux

PLease is there anyone which have a solution, or a core hack to fix this issue?

Thank you

Bruce Morgan

This a sore point with me and a major drawback of VM2.0 in my opinion.  I converted from using attributes to creating parent/child groups about 18 months ago for the simple reason that it simplified my category bowse page in that only parens were diplayed but on the product flypage I had several options for how the children would be displayed.  ( ichose and add to cart button for each child.)

Now with VM 2.0 and the various "views" the whole thing is messed up.  On my migrated test site running VM2.0.7 over J2.5.4 on XAMPP, the parent child relations ships are preserved but I cannot figure out how to created the product details view I want.  With the parent assigned to a category, I have the "parents only" view that I want in the category view.  However, I cannot figure out what the children are good for.  If i assign them to a category then they show up on the category view which I do not want.  If I do not assign them, then they are invisible.

It seems that it is easier to replicate the VM 1.1 method if using attributes for displaying variants of a single product.  If that it true, then what is the purpose of using parent/child?  I do not really care about stock control so maybe that would make it easier.

Fo the oroginal poster how did you set up the custom fields to get the results you are talking about?

uschmi

Bruce,
with the child you are able to have stockable variants (sizes, colors...)! You should not assign childs to categories, manufacturers a.s.o. - only to the parent.
For me, the child are only to hold the stock, nothing else...

jux

Hello I m using the    Generic child variant custom field for each parent in order to display the child product
I only assign one category to one parent and the child do not have category , overwithse they will show up on the frontend

Bruce Morgan

Thanks Uschmi.   I guess what you are saying is that I have the stockable child variants when the generic child variants from the custom fields would work just as well.  Howeverm since I am already set up with the parents and children in the product list, how do I use them in the product details view?  Do they dovetail with the custom fields?

For example i have have  "Tellicherry Peppercorn" parent with three different children (and prices) representing the bag sizes.  they are all discrete products in the product list but only the parent is assigned to the "peppercorn" category.  How would I set up the pridct detail view tso that when click on the product details link the chidren are displayed as size options to be selected?

I could alway delete the children products but since they are already there it seems sensible to make use of them if I can.

uschmi

Bruce,
first, you create custom fields -> Plugin "VM - custom stockable variants"...
In you parent product, you insert this custom field and assign each child product to an option of your custom field.
Check one of the options as "parent variant".

If your childs have different prices:
- set the default price in your parent product
- set the other prices as "additional charge" in the child options (only the difference to the default price)

(Sorry for my bad english)

hambleton

QuoteMy main problem is with my Parent / childs products

The main issue is : when i set up, in the custom field of the product A a Generic child variant (to show all the childs of the product A in the frontend)
the product A can still be ordered.
In the old version of VM when you wanted to order the parent a pop up window will lock it saying: please select your size first (meaning a child product).

To be more precise:

In my stock i have
Parent = Product A
Child = Product A-child1
            Product A-child 2

When i go to the frontend the Product A can be ordered and it should not allow me to order it? it should open a window saying you have to chose your size / color (meaning a child product : child 1 or child 2)

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone got a resolution / work-around?

Thanks.

Bruce Morgan

This is the "Achilles Heel" of that feature.  If this were fixed it would not be perfect, but it would at least be usable.  I would fix it myslef if I knew how.

sakisplus

Milbo

Hello,

I am sorry that I answer so late here. But you should know that openglobal and I worked hard for the 2.0.8 to make this better. The problem is that the new feature is in fact trying to support three different models/ideas of product variants.

The first model was the one correctly working in 2.0.6. Display all.

We added now the option that you can select if the parent should be in the dropdown or not. So you can unpublish the parent and give your preferred (preselected) product the same category and you have now this model working.

There exists also another idea. Use the parent as a kind of subcategory and the user must choose an child. For this we are just missing now the js disabling the "add to cart" button. Then all should work as expected. Of course this should be an option. It costs days to add the options to the core customfields but finally I made it working. So adding this is now just 10 minutes. The JS is also not very hard. But take a look in the developer board and I think you can see that we fixed a lot small other more important bugs.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Milbo

Please try now the latest version 2.0.8c. It is not perfect done, but it shows the direction. We disabled the button per js, you must just disable the button completly, when people do not have js.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member