Forcing the upgrade 2.02 -> 2.06 (server times out)sledgehammer version

Started by blackest, April 17, 2012, 11:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackest

I was having a bit of bother trying to upgrade was failing my server wouldnt respond once i pressed the upgrade button it just timed out on me.

Coming on here i found the advice to use the extension manager instead
so I downloaded the 2 upgrade files and tried to upload them via the web interface.
still not having it
ok i decided to ftp the virtuemart upgrade to tmp on the server with filezilla, already there went back to the extension manager and chose to install from tmp .... success !!

ok since i was having the same problem with aio  i tried the same technique --> reinstalls vm again (successfully)
not what i wanted.
so I emptied the tmp folder with filezilla 
uploaded the aio archive and tried again still failed.

ok so now  i unarchived the aio archive on my laptop and transfered all the files to tmp on the server with filezilla
went for the install from tmp folder option and --> success aio is now at 2.06 both parts up-todate   

Maybe that wouldn't have worked if I wasn't using linux on the server and my laptop (thinking of permissions perhaps being messed up) but anyway my site appears to be updated and working as i expect it too, I only use it for a catalog thou so most of the power of virtuemart isn't being used.

Hopefully an expert will say why it shouldn't be done this way but it works for me.

Margriet

Hi blackhammer,
It has something to do with server configuration. Workaround as follows:
Unpack the two .tar.gz files on your computer and then compress the indivduals folders again in Windows so that they are .zip format. They then install like expected.