How to use Custom Field stockable variant (Explained) (video) (photos page 4)

Started by HG, March 30, 2012, 15:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsrpmedia

QuoteSorry, but I cannot agree.  VM 1.1 attributes and parent/child was simple and could be learned in a half hour.  I spent a day fiddling with this in 2.0 and got nowhere. 

I agree with Bruce - VM 1.1 was SIMPLE - anyone could learn it in less than an hour - I have built almost 50 vm shops - some of them heavily customized - yet after several weeks I cannot get the basic parent/child relationship working.

Simple would be you follow the instructions, it works.

This is pretty much the opposite.

It may have been simple for you HG - I `m beginning to thing that there are server issues in play, that this may not work at all on some hosting setups - ut`s the only reason I can think of that so many people would have exactly the same issues, yet for a lucky few the system works.

Bruce Morgan

I guess a fundamental issue would be to ask the question, "If I get parent/child relationships to work, what will it do for me?"  With VM2.x I am not sure what the answer is.  With VM1.x the answer was simple.  I could list the product "parents" in the product category page without a lot of duplication.  The second thing was that I could have a product detail page the was easily configurable to diplay each child with its own add to cart button or as a dropdown list etc.  I chose the separate add-to-cart buttons for each child product, which in my case was differing sizes of thr same product.

I did not care if each product had a separate sku or if inventory could be tracked.  One downside of the VM1.x implementation was that after crereating the parent child relationships, these product were no longer recorded in Google Analytics.  If I had known this would happen I never would have bothered and would have used the attribute feature instead with VM1.x.  Now with VM2.x, neither option is easy to use and there is a question as to whether it really will work for all users.  This has become the "feature from hell" and may be the achilles heel that pushes VM into irrelevance.

I think there is overwhelming evidence that the developers' reach exceeded their grasp and a better solution is needed.  If nothing else, a new simpler easy to use solution is needed while this mess is fixed.

HG

will do the vid in a sec...
was trying to add space between the options which i finally got..... :'(

[attachment cleanup by admin]

corymp

I just made a discovery...

I backed up and downloaded my site with akeeba backup, installed Zend Server, and loaded my site into it. NOW the stockable variants work! This is definitely a server issue. Once I am set up and make sure everything works properly on my local site, I will contact my shared hosting company and ask them what the problem is. If I can download a free server, that works better than theirs theres something wrong..

I am getting exactly as HG describes now. This is great but its still a p*** off that now I gotta fight with my host to fix a problem I can't describe
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

corymp

HG do you find that when adding an option to cart, it only adds the last option product? but displays the correct option below the product name in the cart? I can add one of every item and each has the name and SKU of the last item in the dropdown list.

[attachment cleanup by admin]
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

dsrpmedia

Quote from: corymp on April 06, 2012, 00:11:41 AM
I just made a discovery...

I backed up and downloaded my site with akeeba backup, installed Zend Server, and loaded my site into it. NOW the stockable variants work! This is definitely a server issue. Once I am set up and make sure everything works properly on my local site, I will contact my shared hosting company and ask them what the problem is. If I can download a free server, that works better than theirs theres something wrong..

I am getting exactly as HG describes now. This is great but its still a p*** off that now I gotta fight with my host to fix a problem I can't describe

well that makes me feel a bit better - I had pretty much come to the conclusion that it was not me not following the steps, so it had to be a server thing - but it`s nice to get some confirmation.

Now if only we knew WHAT the server thing was... and how to fix it - I cannot see myself leaving either of the 2 hosting companies I now use as I have just tooo many websites there to move.... hopefully we can find some way of getting vm 2 to work on every hosting platform

corymp

When I get this done, I'm going to upload this back to my hosted server and see if it works (I'm pretty sure it wont). But then I'm going to contact my host and get them to connect to both sites and ask them what's wrong.

In the mean time, try Zend Server -> http://www.zend.com/en/products/server-ce/index. It takes only 15 minutes to install.

PS.    Now that we KNOW this is a server problem, that makes us one step closer to fixing this....
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

chiappa

Quote from: HG on March 30, 2012, 15:43:52 PM
8) 8) 8) 8) read step by step and I bet you wil get it....
donate if it helps   :o :o paypal: andrewms@nycparty411.com

Better donate to virtuemart

This information has been in the virtuemart wiki "Product custom fields with stock control" since day 1...

This method does not work on Virtuemart 2.0.2. I guess it had been fixed in some pre subrelease of VirtueMart 2.0.3.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

jaruzelski

After setting everything like "it should be set" i've got errors after clicking 'buy item'.--->  FATAL ERROR

Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /home/girlsonthe/domains/girlsontheboard.com/public_html/plugins/vmcustom/stockable/stockable.php on line 436

It worked for me onlu once, and i still wonder how I did it...
nothing but errors and errors.. i've lost all of my patience at this point.

cmalo

Im getting the error :

Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in plugins/vmcustom/stockable/stockable.php on line 187

:-\

Someone knows how to fix this ?

corymp

Quote from: cmalo on April 07, 2012, 18:21:28 PM
Im getting the error :

Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in plugins/vmcustom/stockable/stockable.php on line 187

:-\

Someone knows how to fix this ?
No. It seems this plugin does not work on the majority of shared web hosts.
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

harut2005

Hello Everybody,
I am building my eshop with latest version of joomla and virtuemart and I have some issue with this plug-in.

I achieved to solve almost all of the issues mentioned above, but I still got this one:

When I try to buy a child product from dropdown list something goes wrong with stock control and neither the order's pdf is generated correctly nor the stock quantity is getting lower as it should be.
I tried all the combinations of stock availabilty of parent/child and i still get a blank screen without any error in the forwarded link:

http://*******/index.php/component/virtuemart/cart/confirm?Itemid=0

dsrpmedia

QuoteThis information has been in the virtuemart wiki "Product custom fields with stock control" since day 1...

lol

yes but it still doesn `t work on the majority of shared hosting plans - and on the ones it does work on it appears to be extremely buggy judging by all the different errors being reporting in this thread alone

cmalo

Hello,

If i do it on a other method, everything works, also with changing pictures when clicking a other child

But there is a problem, when i want to select from the drop down box, the box just dissapears.

When i click the box tab , hold my mouse for a moment and move the cursor a little bit, then the box stays opened.

Anyone knows how i can fix this?
Link to the product with the problem : http://cmalo.nl/testsite2/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=57&virtuemart_category_id=38

Thanks alot

harut2005

The only version of Virtuemart that I found which has this new method of Stockable Variant plug in is "2.0.3d".

Only in 2.0.3d version orders can manage products' stock control.

Even though the new method is a bit complicated, it has these 5 steps only:

-make a parent product,
-add a custom field selecting this plugin: "VM - Custom, stockable variants"
-add variants eg. color: red,black,blue and save

-now go to parent product,
-let the plug-in auto generate child products from parent's "custom fields" tab as described in previous posts