News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

"Generic Child Variant" - Prevent adding Parent to Shopping cart

Started by mulcamd, March 27, 2012, 19:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motografik

Quote from: syntalk on March 08, 2013, 10:42:42 AM
Hi all,

All of you are doing great work here and thanks for all your help.
After reading this post I'm totally confused though :-\

In summary; is there a way to make a custom field (cart variant) as "required" that the customer MUST make the choice and to display "please choose" or similar as a first option in 2.0.18a version?

Thanks in advance.
I am looking for this solution too. To prevent customers from accidentally choosing the wrong drop-down value.

dsrpmedia

I had it working in a previous version, but in one of the new updates the hack stopped working.

I wound up just creating a child named 'please select' with no price, and set it so that it was the first child in the dropdown, not very elegant but it works

solmab

If that works that's great! does not work in Joomla! 2.5.6 VM 2.0.20b

What version are you using dsrpmedia.  If you set a child named 'please select' with no price- it still lets you add that to cart  ???

Any update on how to get round this issue?

Using Joomla! 2.5.6 VM 2.0.20b

dsrpmedia

hmmm I`m using joomla 2.5.9, VM 20.20b

the product 'please select' is not orderable - I don `t think I did anything to the code see

http://spectrum.rejuvasolutions.co/wellness/immunity/nasal-sinus-pray-detail

solmab

Thanks dsrpmedia. It does work.   :)

I had template override.

jgbauer

Danny Poole

Quote from: spyderwebdesign on November 19, 2012, 01:06:08 AM
In 2.0.14 you can not longer add the parent, however the first item in the drop down box is your first child so it appears to the customer that they can't order the first child variant. The first item in the drop down box should say something similar to Select Your Variant.

This one worked for me but I changed it so if it is selected after another selection is made it doesn't boot me out to the home page.
array_unshift($options, array('value' => '#', 'text' => 'Please select an option'));
Currently using VM3.0.6 on Joomla 3.4 PHP 5.4.30

T.A. Garrison, LLC

There seems to be a lot of confusion - for many reasons. One reason is that some people are using a "Parent/Child" situation and creating resolutions. Those of us who "cannot" use that method are still using an independent product with "Custom Fields" due to the way the clients' products need to be tracked with the SKU "and" inventory.

Hence, there is no method for mandating a customer select something. At least, there has been nothing posted that actually works in the latest J2.5.17 and VM2.0.26d

I've tried many of the solutions, even some hacks. But nothing works - at least nothing I've tried to follow.
I don't want and cannot have my products a child of something. Each product needs to be independent.
And the "hacks" that I've read will be overwritten with any updates - they are not written as overrides. Those that had it working in previous versions, I'm sure, have found that the solutions no longer work...from what I've come across.

Here it is, January 2014, and this simple issue of making a selection "required" eludes VM2.0.26d

Let me ask the developers. What will it take to have the following issues resolved:
selection required to "any" list of custom fields
strikethrough "easily" assigned to the original price
tax per total in cart by US city (AlvaTax is NOT an option)
"Select a shipping method" AND "Select a payment method" hidden when there is ONLY 1 option offered

Will it take money? Time? Expertise?
Those same 4 issues have been now 2 years that I've watched the forums with no resolve.
I don't know how to word this message without it sounding like a complaint. But I truly am asking, what "will" it take for these resolves? Is it because they are only issues in the US?
T.A. Garrison, LLC
3150 Orleans St. # 28261
Bellingham, WA 98228

green-products.co.uk

Hello,

I know I am adding to an old topic but I cant find anything recent that comes close.

I have the same problem where in the dropdown I want "Please select" or something similar as the first option. Instead I see the description for the parent, and when I click, that is then added to the cart which I really don't want. Only child products should be ok to add to the cart.

Can anyone help with this please. I'm a Joomla and VM novice and I have spent hours trying to fix this. I'm using the Multi Variant Custom Field type.
VM 3.0.8
Joomla 3.4.1

David
Regards

David

Milbo

All of the above problems are solved.

When you use the multivivariant just select for your parent in the matrix for one selection "none", done. Download the fullpackage and install the sampeldata
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

green-products.co.uk

Hello,

I have uploaded the sample data into a staging environment so I can check product setup.

I am still having a problem though with Parent and child setup. When I view categories or do a search the search results show both parent and child - that isnt what I would expect to happen. I have checked the sample data and been through the configuration and matched the setup of the multi-variant custom field exactly but I still see the parent and the child products.

I would appreciate any help I have been trying to fix this for weeks.

Thanks

David
Regards

David

green-products.co.uk

Hello,

I've found a workaround for this purely by chance.

I noticed that when I upload products with a parent and child relationship from a csv file I get exactly what I needed, so I deleted the incorrect products then just replaced them from a csv file.

No idea why this works given all other things are the same (all setup such as custom fields),but that's how I will be setting them up in future.

David
Regards

David

biltong

Quote from: Milbo on June 04, 2015, 09:30:41 AM
All of the above problems are solved.

When you use the multivivariant just select for your parent in the matrix for one selection "none", done. Download the fullpackage and install the sampeldata

Not quite Milbo - if you already have custom fields setup of a different type to multivariant, e.g. string and assigned values to products then there is still no out-of-the-box solution for this without changing the custom field setup, which is not a viable option if the site is already mostly built.

I don't understand why when all that is needed is a simple Required checkbox for checkout, which is configured in the Custom Field edit.

What am I missing here?

lausianne

Bumpring this. Is there any news on the issue, new existing solution or upcoming?
Thank you!

biltong

I recenty used the services of my template developer to implement a custom solution that makes a cart string custom field 'required'.

See it in action here https://www.trendco.co.uk/shop/rae