News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Migration to another installation J2.5VM3 -> J3VM3

Started by john-doe, December 06, 2014, 17:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john-doe

Greetings, here is my situation.

I need to upgrade my site. Currently is Joomla 2.5.19 and Virtuemart 2.6.6 With some manual tweaks

I made a local copy and successfully i updated it to joomla 2.5.27 and Virtuemart 3.0.2 successfully (i'll need to redo the settings for custom fields but that's another issue)

The problem i have with my local copy is that i can't migrate it to Joomla 3 because the process finishes with an error.

So seeing the situation i thought in do a clean installation of joomla 3 with Virtuemart 3.02.
I was thinking in a way to migrate all the data, products, and specially orders and customers.

I'm not sure what to do since:
the site (live and local) has multilanguage (US English and spanish) and i need to install the respective packages.

If i export the database's VM tables would be enough?

Thanks in advance

jenkinhill

What error do you get when updating to J3.x? It may be easier & quicker to resolve that rather than migrate VM between sites. I have updated a lot of J2.5 sites to J3 without any issues.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

john-doe

Greetings i'm having error 1146 about inexistent post install messages. After that i have technically no backend access but the site works in the frontend.
That's what worries me since the control panel gets unusable

john-doe

I have an update. After reading a quite similar error i had a result different of the solution provided.

I set error reporting to maximum
After the update it shows:

1091 - An error has occurred.

Can't DROP 'usertype'; check that column/key exists SQL=ALTER TABLE `lipus_users` DROP KEY `usertype`;

So i go to go to control panel and it shows

1146 - An error has occurred.

Table 'lamigra.lipus_postinstall_messages' doesn't exist SQL=SHOW FULL COLUMNS FROM `lipus_postinstall_messages`

And gets locked there

jenkinhill

So you have database problems. In VM these can often be fixed using the Install or if necessary update tables button in Tools.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

john-doe

Quote from: jenkinhill on December 11, 2014, 18:02:43 PM
So you have database problems. In VM these can often be fixed using the Install or if necessary update tables button in Tools.
Thanks for replying. But the problem becomes that joomlas administrator becomes useless. VM gets updated to 3 with no problems but i know that i need to fix some overrides.

The main problem becomes the Joomla Update to 3.3.6 which i'm showing you by the error messages i'm describing.
for themoment the only thing i can is update the template and once is set, update VM and afterwards update joomla.

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK