VirtueMart Forum

VirtueMart 2 + 3 => Language/Translations => Topic started by: e-trader on September 15, 2019, 14:23:13 pm

Title: Many untranslated strings in multi-lingual setup
Post by: e-trader on September 15, 2019, 14:23:13 pm
Hi!

I have a multilanguage setup (English, English GB, Dutch, Italian, French) but strings remain untranslated.

The VM language pack is installed from https://virtuemart.net/community/translations/virtuemart/it-IT.

The file is present, for example /www/language/it-IT/it-IT.com_virtuemart_shoppers.ini

And the contents: COM_VIRTUEMART_SHOPPER_FORM_PASSWORD_1="Password"

The string is only translated when adding a custom override for it. I have no clue why this is happening anymore. Does anybody have ideas?

Joomla 3.9.11
VirtueMart 3.6.0 10113

Thanks!
Title: Re: Many untranslated strings in multi-lingual setup
Post by: Jörgen on September 15, 2019, 18:06:28 pm
I would check the file for syntax errors, this can break the translation Try to rename the fale and see of more translations do no work. If more translated strings stop working, at least You know the file is used. You can also turn on the Joomla languge debug and see if this gives any clues.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Title: Re: Many untranslated strings in multi-lingual setup
Post by: e-trader on October 13, 2019, 19:03:58 pm
OK, so I have:

1. Emptied out the overrides folder /language/overrides   (to prevent possible syntax issues)

2. Re-test with VM registration. For example, missing is COM_VIRTUEMART_REGISTER_EMAIL.
I look in /languages/it-IT.com_virtuemart_shoppers.ini and it is there though!!

3. Download fresh Italian language pack and install:

   https://virtuemart.net/community/translations/virtuemart/it-IT

Stays the same

"use english as fallback for untranslated strings" is selected
no fallback is UNselected
Custom fallback now set to en-GB but no difference.

Screenshot and log attached are from the en-GB VM registration. I do not see any native JM translations missing, only VM.

Any clues on how to debug this situation?

Title: Re: Many untranslated strings in multi-lingual setup
Post by: GJC Web Design on October 13, 2019, 20:18:24 pm
I doubt there is any files for en-US  ??

JROOT\administrator\language\en-US\en-US.plg_vmshipment_weight_countries.ini  etc

use en-GB .. the mother of the language...
Title: Re: Many untranslated strings in multi-lingual setup
Post by: e-trader on October 13, 2019, 20:40:13 pm
Joomla has en-US and en-GB available. I have two English languages installed, one associated with EURO and one with GBP currency using a plugin. I took a copy of en-GB to make en-US to check fixing these issues.

Talking about plugins, now testing I have found it *relates* to using the domain language plugin (3rd party) which is now unsupported.
https://www.yireo.com/blog/2012-12-18-joomla-language-domains-plugin
The tool makes each language available on a seperate domain. So this makes it not the place anymore for this topic... :-[

However: the odd thing is, the *override* strings always show up and the originals that are loaded from the language folder do not!

Which is unexpected behavior.

This makes me wonder if the VM code handles translations differently than JM itself, creating an incompatibility somehow.


Title: Re: Many untranslated strings in multi-lingual setup
Post by: jjk on October 14, 2019, 20:43:11 pm
I would suggest that you create a fresh Joomla 3.9.12 and VirtueMart 3.6.2 or 3.6.3 from http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files in a test environment and compare the location of the en-GB files with yours. Many VirtueMart files have been moved into language subfolders of the component and plugin folders years ago.
Translations still use the Joomla language file folders, because we use ctransifex to generate the language packs for the translations from transifex.com, which is unable to generate the file structure used for the en-GB source files of VirtueMart.
Title: Re: Many untranslated strings in multi-lingual setup
Post by: e-trader on October 15, 2019, 17:14:43 pm
Thank you for your contributions!!! I ended up with paid support and an adjustment on 3rd party plugin.