News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Monthly special

Started by spacecadet, October 10, 2013, 10:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spacecadet

my client offers a monthly special in which one product is reduced in price by 50%, or whatever.

obviously, i want to show on the website the normal price, and this months special discount price.

like this:

Normal price $500
This month's discounted price $250

how do i do this? anyone?

here is how i have things set up. first, my default_showprices.php is stock standard, and I do not have an override.

I attach three pics showing how my shop/config/prices page is set up, my product page in backend showing override price, and how it displays on the front end.

no doubt i am doing something wrong that will be obvious when it is pointed out.

but i would be very grateful if someone could indeed point it out. thanks.

VM2.0.24 JM2.5.14

PS: the settings on my shop/config/prices page are not necessarily how i want it to be....i am just trying to get the front end to display anything at all other than just the final discounted price. so several boxes are checked, but at the end of the day, i only want to show the normal price, and the special discounted price. thanks.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

Maxim Pishnyak

You could show 'Normal price $500' but clicking corresponding checkbox in Price setup (VM config).
You can support Community by voting for Project on the JED
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews
Join us at
https://twitter.com/virtuemart

jenkinhill

This is how I do it. Set up VAT calculation rule (applied to all products) and a 50% discount rule (in this example as Price modifier after tax).

The only options selected under Show Prices are "Baseprice with Tax, but without discounts" and "Final salesprice". Remember that you can change the text used against each price in the FE display by using language overrides.

Here are the product prices with applied rules and the resulting display (if you use template overrides then your display may differ).:

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

spacecadet

Thank you Kelvyn for your response, and your continuing efforts to help me. I do very much appreciate it.

However, I am still unable to get anything to display on my product page except the final price. I cannot get any price to appear with a line through it. Neither can I get any other price to appear at all, without the discount, with tax, whatever: no pricing options display except the final price, regardless of what I select in config>pricing

To confirm again: I am NOT using template overriddes for the default_showprices.php file.

So I have everything now set exactly as per Kelvyn's last message. I have the discount set up in Taxes and Calculations. I have the product pricing set up as per Kelvyn's diagram. I have the config>pricing set up as I think it should be set up.

but again, no matter what changes i make, i cannot get any other price to display.

how can i break out of this circle? I've been posting requests for help on this since July or something. This is not meant as a criticism of anyone, just an observation. its now october. what suggestions does anyone have here? what can i do to diagnose this? where else is something being adjusted here that might be afffecting pricing display?

this post was moved from the previous thread. over there i had noted that my default_showprices.php file does not seem to have the same code, or length, as the ones that people are recommending changes to. so i am really rather stuck in the whole thing.

thank you also to Maxim for your response. but did you mean "by" instead of "but"? i assume so. if you're suggesting that all i need to do is click the box in config/pricing, thank you, but yes, this is exactly what i am doing with no result on the front end.

suggestions anyone?

jenkinhill

I have never had a problem with price display so why does it work for me and not for you. The "logical" answer is that your default_showprices.php is different or is being overridden. The file in VM2.0.24 is 3.60Kb and I have attached a copy here for comparison with your file.

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

spacecadet

thanks for your reply and for sending a clean copy of default_showprices.php

i eyeballed them, and they looked identical.

so i changed the name of my existing version, and uploaded the one you provided...

and it made no difference.....

so then i went and played more....and discovered that the price which displays on my frontend product page remains on even if I turn off all of the options on config/pricing, except for Show Prices

this has to be a clue as to what is going on.....

to repeat: i have Show Prices checked, and nothing at all checked in any of the boxes that drop down below....and yet my final correct sales price displays on the site, as normal. also the product with the discount, the final discounted price shows up correctly....

but no boxes checked....no wonder it wasn't making a difference how many I had going...something is over-riding all those checkboxes...

what could be going on? i am baffled by this. thank for any ideas...