News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Shipping method issue

Started by Fintan, November 10, 2011, 10:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmrcrp

I'm having the same problem with the USPS shipping.  I tried to leave the "countries" blank, but each time I save it, when I reopen it, it still shows United States and territories.  So I get the dreaded "No shipping method matches the characteristics of your order".  "Shopper Groups" is blank.

Please help!  Thanks
will build simple Joomla sites for food...:D

Joomla 2.5.6, VM 2.0.6, PHP 5.2.17

alatak

Hello,
QuoteI'm having the same problem with the USPS shipping.  I tried to leave the "countries" blank, but each time I save it, when I reopen it, it still shows United States and territories.  So I get the dreaded "No shipping method matches the characteristics of your order".  "Shopper Groups" is blank.
What do you want to do ?

In USPS you have 2 list for the countries:
Domestic Countries list: this list cannot be empty. The original list comes from USPS. You can remove some countries if u want to, but not all.

Countries (in the INTERNATIONAL SERVICES): this is the list of the countries where you want to ship to to international.

jmrcrp

I am leaving the "countries" blank on International.  It keeps filling in countries on Domestic.

I expect that there won't be a problem if the shopper fills in their address first.  But I want them to be able to see the shipping charges before they begin the checkout process.

Also, why does it say "select shipment" if there is only one shipping method available?  Shouldn't it just automatically show that method?

Thanks for your help.  I'm trying really hard to understand all this, but I feel I am lost.  It's great that you are available to answer newbie's questions.  :)

EDIT: I just tried it after entering a shipping address, and I still get the same message.  :(

alatak

Hi

QuoteBut I want them to be able to see the shipping charges before they begin the checkout process.
This is not possible with USPS or UPS, because in order to be able to request for rates, those 2 shipment methods requires to know where (ZIP and country) to send the it.
Actually you should have a redirect to the edit address page.
If you don't have it it means that something is wrong.
I suggest that you enable VM debugging (in the VirtueMart's configuration).
You will have some debugging messages that will help us to undestand what is going on.

jmrcrp

I will try that later today and post again.  Thank you so much!

jmrcrp

Okay, here's what I have done:  I contacted USPS and they activated my API.  They said it should work now.  I turned on debugging (administrators only) in VM.  Then I tried to do a test checkout on the site.  I entered a valid address and clicked "Select Shipment Method".  Same result, same message "We are sorry, no shipment method matches the characteristics of your order".

When VM is set to debug, does that mean that it will send e-mails to admins about errors?  Or is there a logfile somewhere?  I have received no messages, and can't find an error logfile.  However, I do see messages at the top of the page when I open VM in the Admin panel.  The current message is:

vmdebug self::$_jpConfig->lang en_us
        vmdebug vmTime: loadConfig db no: 0.026728868484497

I don't understand what that means.

Could this have something to do with  the way I have the USPS shipping method set up?  I have it set for "Parcel Post" because that is the way we want to ship packages.  Do I need to enter weights on each product?

I'm sorry to sound so stupid - I'm completely lost.

EDIT:  I tried setting up a new USPS shipment method (and unpublished the old one).  This time I did not select any "domestic service options".  Still getting the same message.  And now, the messages at the top of VM includes the line:

Quotevmdebug selectedThis $name alatak_usps does not fit pluginname weight_countries

jmrcrp

I'm making progress!  I started entering weights for my products, and now the shipment method is working fine!  Yay!  It works as long as I have a shipping address entered.

Question:  How do I make it redirect to address page if the customer tries to select a shipment method before entering an address?

Also, if I have more than one product in the cart, does it automatically add up the weights and calculate the shipping based on that?

One more question - where do I enter the address that my products will be shipped from?  Does it take that from the vendor details?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

John2400

Quote from: jmrcrp on June 21, 2012, 14:51:51 PM

Also, if I have more than one product in the cart, does it automatically add up the weights and calculate the shipping based on that?

One more question - where do I enter the address that my products will be shipped from?  Does it take that from the vendor details?

* Yes it adds it all up -------- so make sure your weights are accurate for one product and it will do the right thing.
* Yes it takes the address from the buyers address ----- so you have to set post from "one" place - how much it costs to send from you. Not from around the country to the buyers address

jmrcrp

Thanks for your response.  I understand what you are saying, but does it use the vendor's address as the "from" address?

One more question.  When configuring the USPS shipment method, there is a field for "weight padding".  Is this where I would enter packaging weight?  Does it just accept numbers, and if so, how can it tell if I mean pounds or ounces?

Alatak said that it should be redirecting to a page where the customer can fill in his address, if he tries to choose a shipping method without first entering an address.  But I still don't know how to make that happen.

Slowly but surely, I'm getting all this figured out!

John2400

The from Vendors address?

* It does not calculate anything from the vendors address - this could be Mars.
* it calculates from what postage and shipping you have set up. And uses the zip codes of the buyer to send the product.

* the USPS - I'm Australian I don't use that software - I think Alatak is the expert but I notice that this post  http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=100630.new;topicseen#new   is talking about new weights and setups - maybe a god place to follow.

The Vendors address will appear on all emails sent.  But lots of companies have a head office and could pick a place to send from. If a customer asks why the postge is higher - you could say that you do not post from the head office? if that is what you are trying to do./maybe.