News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Template designers failing on checkout process pages

Started by froggymorning, October 28, 2015, 23:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggymorning

We've been running the joomla/virtuemart combination since 2008.  AFter  recently upgrading to joomla 3.4 and VM 3, Im astonished at the problems we are having with templates' checkouts.  Designers are GREAT at providing responsive pages and showing off products.  HOWEVER, checkout process pages seem to be lacking across the board.  We keep buying templates that look good in the product pages, only to have them fail in the checkout pages.  One template we bought and tried was incompatible with any of the available 1-page checkout extensions.  Another template had a 5 page checkout process.  It doesn't matter how good your site looks in the front end, if it is too much trouble for people to go through to find their cart, click checkout, register an account ONLY if they want to, and fill in minimal information to complete a purchase, they will simply abandon the cart and buy on amazon.  No customer is going to go through a 5 page checkout process.  Our sales have fallen by 50% after the upgrade, and we've found that the number of customers abandoning their carts during checkout has more than doubled. Virtuemart is supposed to be about selling, not just showing, and it seems template designers aren't going far enough for the SELLING pages of their templates for VM 3.

Ok, enough of the 'problem'.  The solution I am looking for is a well-coded, clean, responsive VM template that has a likewise clean and --easy-- checkout process.  The template should have minimal pages collecting the information and a simple checkbox if someone wants to register an account DURING checkout. (for gods sake, not an additional registration!)  A vm 3 template that will work with any of the 1 page checkout extensions, and with full configuration options such as enabling joomla plugins and modules, setting number of products on page, etc.  What are you guys and gals using, and MORE IMPORTANTLY....how is the checkout process for that template?  I've already wasted a bit of money buying templates that look good when showing products but wind up having complicated checkouts which cause customers to abandon, so Ill take any and all suggestions for a template that makes the checkout process EASY and FAST for customers.  REALLY looking for help here. 

(and why don't template designers often offer screenshots of their checkout pages? Ease in completing the purchase is more important than having product carousel modules. It's always a surprise to see what checking out looks like on a template till after you buy it, install, and try placing an order.)

GJC Web Design

said it a few times.. I always use Spyros's clean, fast and clever templates for all my projects..  https://www.virtuemarttemplates.eu/

easily adaptable to anything you need .. always updated immediately to every new release

and I run a mile from any "framework" based template .. esp. with OOOOOOO  .. that is a clever JS effect that will break as soon as I add another module

QuoteNo customer is going to go through a 5 page checkout process.

re checkouts..  he he .. just tried a chk out on Amazon..  good old step by step..  7 stages till final confirmation .. and that's with an account and logging in..  :)

Ebay the same.. they seem to be doing OK..  :)

simple - logical .. no mistakes possible.. in fact quite a number of my clients ask for step by step and happy to oblige
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

froggymorning

Thanks for the point to spyro!

I should have said none of -my- customers want a 5 page checkout.  They don't, I have to keep them on a one page or my abandonment ratio is too high.

lindapowers

Rupostel OPC only solution that works with all templates or the developer adapts it.

AH

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0