Shipping post code query

Started by ash, July 10, 2012, 13:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ash

I am trying to set the shipping up to use postcodes this is what i have

Standard shipping Postcode CM5 start FY1 end - price 10.00
Standard shipping Postcode CM5 start LS2 end - price 12.00
Standard shipping Postcode CM5 start CV1 end - price 14.00

When i go through to checkout and enter my address and give a post code of FY1  should the system not see that and then select my shipping rate for FY1

I thought that this is how it works or am i missing something here?

alatak

Hello,

I assume that postcodes are numbers.
This is not the case for your country?

ash

Hi Postcodes are FY15pp in full but we just want to use the first three digits which are letters and numbers does vm only accept number?

alatak

Hello,

Yes at the moment it is the case.
I did not know that some countries could have letters in the postal code.

ash

Is there a simple way for me to over come this, or is this going to be a bigger job all-round? Our client is dead set on the post code feature that's all.

Parsimonious

I'm from Canada and our Postal Codes also have letters and Numbers eg A0A 0A0, so we would need this too. I'd also like to be able to set shipping as a %. On our old site we had shipping as x% of total for local postal codes, and y% of total for postal codes farther away.

GJC Web Design

I have successfully coded a solution for UK Postcodes ( e.g. B33 8TH - alpha-numeric) where the first 1 or 2 letters and numbers are the area.

I am sure this could be adapted to your situation..

It has the added advantage of a single method for numerous zones and prices  - simply a comma separated list of postcode areas and prices pasted in a text area in the VM admin.....

e.g.
Zone4,BT,15.00,0.55
Zone6,IM*GY*JE,45.50,0.75
Zone7,E16*E17*EC1A1*EC1A2*EC1A4*EC1A7*EC1A9*6.50,1.50

the plugin (std Joomla install) cycles thru till it finds an appropriate match -if none then a default amount setting..

p.m me for further info if interested..

Cheers
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation