News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Folder permissions

Started by quimkaos, April 03, 2012, 06:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quimkaos

Hi all
currently in both my live server (it's a shared host) and local test server i need to have the files and folders in  "(...)images/stories/virtuemart/" setted up with a 777 permission. If not i'll not be able to upload the product images. if i have permissions set to 775 i'm able to upload but the server wont create the thumbnails. Is this how it is supposed to be? do i need to have some parts of the website unprotected with files and folders with a 777 permission? or do i must have some misconfiguration?

I'm using Joomla 2.5.1 and VirtueMart 2.0.3E

Thanks in advance

jenkinhill

That is not how it is supposed to be. No server should ever require 777, so I guess there is a server permissions issue? VirtueMart does not "read" file permissions but the thumb is created by GD2 which is compiled in the server software.

2.0.3E is a development version and contains known bugs - latest stable version is 2.0.2, next will be 2.0.4
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

quimkaos

Thank you for the reply

i thought so. in my localhost server i'm trying to fix it. I'm running linux with userdir enabled, so i can have direct access to the files and edit whatever i want, without having to run any editor with SU. This makes all files ownership fall to me, not to apache. so it's part of the problem. i tried adding apache to my user group so at least i could use 775 for folders and 664 for files, with no joy. The issue is similar in a shared host.
I'm going to investigate a litle more and report back. I hope i'm the only one with this problem, but if not someone else can benefit from my issues and waste less hair on it.  ;D

yes i'm using the development version 2.0.3E because 2.0.2 had some invisible utf8 chars that ruin my layout. i tried  asking for help fixing it, or at least identifying the files needed to be converted (they were in utf-8a, i think), with no response. I ended identifying 2 or 3 but not all, so i "upgraded" to 2.0.3G that had another problem: in the front module Featured products, no new products got displayed. Since no one answered to the post were i reported this, asking for help, i start "downgrading" and 2.0.3E was working fine.

I hope my English was not too bad, and that no one interprets me as i was demanding anything.
and thank you again jenkinhill