News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Search with barcode scanner

Started by elanto75, October 05, 2023, 15:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elanto75

Good morning,
Does anyone know if there is any extension to integrate the device's built-in scanner into the virtuemart search module?

My e-commerce is dedicated to B2B customers who already have my paper product catalog where there is a barcode corresponding to the SKU of the products on the e-commerce.

I would like to give them the opportunity to select virtuemart products using the scanner integrated into their devices (tablets and smartphones) by scanning the barcode of the paper catalogue.

I hope I have been clear enough,
Thank you

VirtueMart 4.0.6 10690
Joomla! 3.10.12
PHP 7.4.33

Milbo

The Barcode scanner returns a SKU or something like that. You just need to enter the returned value to the search.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

elanto75

Quote from: Milbo on October 05, 2023, 20:03:27 PM
The Barcode scanner returns a SKU or something like that. You just need to enter the returned value to the search.

HI,
I don't understand, how can I open the device scan from my store?

Milbo

We have this solved with qr codes. They are just a link, which is then opened directly,... But I just dont know how todo it with a barcode, which just returns the sku. So the sku must be put somehow into vm. It could be even used in the link also. Most vm shops sef is so, that any link like mydomain.xyz/blau/blubg/product-sku-detail, calls the right product. (because the -detail says there is a sku)
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Emma Iana

Quote from: elanto75 on October 06, 2023, 15:14:11 PM
Quote from: Milbo on October 05, 2023, 20:03:27 PM

HI,
I don't understand, how can I open the device scan from my store?

Open app, click search input, use scanner, press enter.

Milbo

Hehe, right funny answer.

The problem here is not on the site of vm. We can display dynamic qr codes and all that. The problem here is to tell the scanner that he should sent it to the right link. If you can enter a link there, then it would be easy. So you need to investigate first how your barcode scanner works

alxgan

Cool idea but I don't think it's on VM side. I can only think of two possibilities:
1. If possible, you can just update your catalog with QR codes that point to the products link on your website. This way your clients can just open camera app and scan the code or, of course, use a dedicated phone app.
2. If you can not modify the printed catalog, you can try to create a custom page in Joomla with a HTML5 QR Code scanner javascript like https://blog.minhazav.dev/research/html5-qrcode ; and in onScanSuccess function have it search in a lookup table for the corresponding SKU to weblink.

elanto75

I imagined a function in the virtuemart search field that would make me open the device's scanner to read the sku

Studio 42

barcode use a simple list of number(and Letters in some type)
So if you need to go directly to a website it's not possible
Give the shop link to your customer and the search field can handel the SKU
Or create your own APP. But why ? It's not hard to enter a weblink
Of course the right solution is to use a QRcode. BUt your cataloq is already printed !

elanto75

Quote from: Studio 42 on October 30, 2023, 15:35:31 PM
barcode use a simple list of number(and Letters in some type)
So if you need to go directly to a website it's not possible
Give the shop link to your customer and the search field can handel the SKU
Or create your own APP. But why ? It's not hard to enter a weblink
Of course the right solution is to use a QRcode. BUt your cataloq is already printed !

I'm already using a portable barcode scanner connected to the PC with Bluetooth.
What I do now is put the focus in the virtuemar search form field and scan the barcode (product SKU) and I get the desired result.
Now I would like to eliminate the Bluetooth scanner to use the integrated camera.
Clearly whoever carries out the search will already be logged in to the shop