News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Is it broken?

Started by stinga, March 28, 2012, 18:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinga

I don't get it....

People are selling their services and then asking the developers/forum to fix it when it does not quite work the way their customer wants.
I don't mind helping people with their shop, but I think it is a bit rich to ask for free help to fix the shop your are being paid to install/upgrade.

I spent ages on one problem helping someone fix a problem, when I asked for access he said he would have to ask the owner.
I was doing the work while matey was sucking back a beer and getting paid for it!. (or looking for more 'work')

So setup a test system and test it before you install and stop bludging off others to fix the problems you have been paid to solve.

Just my thoughts on the subject and maybe 'I do get it' now...
Stinga.
614869 products in 747 categories with 15749 products in 1 category.
                                             Document Complete   Fully Loaded
                Load Time First Byte Start Render   Time      Requests      Time      Requests
First View     2.470s     0.635s     1.276s          2.470s       31            2.470s      31
Repeat View  1.064s     0.561s     1.100s          1.064s       4             1.221s       4

daviator

I offered to pay someone to fix my site. But VM2 IS broken. Some of the out-of-the-box features DO NOT function.

The shipping model is simply broken if you have more than one shipping method. I even unpublished all but my sinlge flat rate method but VM2 still showed only the free (UNPUBLISHED) method.

There is a huge difference between "not quite work the way their customer wants" and something just not working.
Tax is also broken if you have to setup up more than one tax method.

Merry

Daviator,

The only pay these people ever get on this forum is a "hey thanks" after researching your issue and replying, and it's like taking away their pay when you don't thank them. So when you post a question while you have a bad attitude on, it's like guaranteeing that they will get no "pay" - no thanks - even if they bend over backwards to help you out.

I understand that you are stressed, and when you post a question, you are posting because you are already stressed. I get it. But you've gotta take a deep breath and acknowledge the possibility, however miniscule it may be, of user error.

I think there are plenty of people on this board who could help you with your issue, but it is obvious to them that you are just gonna take another swipe at them and at the program, and not even say thanks for trying. I am fairly new so I am trying very very hard to help you out even though you keep swiping, but I am going to give up on you if you keep up with the 'tude. Just saying.

Merry

Answer is probably from my VirtueMart 2 User Manual ebook, includes FREE updates. FREE Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Quick Install Guide & 30-Minute Quick Setup Guide http://showmeguides.com/

daviator

Merry,
I have a very small number of my questions truly answered (I'm not counting responses  "It's your fault. You're just a noob." or "You just don;t get it." or "It works for me.") and I have said "Thank you!" In addition, I have tried to answer questions myself when I know the answer.

For the past 12+ years, I have hosted a (self-funded) website dedicated to building flightsim models using a very niche' 3D modeling application. I have posted many tutorials written by me on the use of the app and also provide many of my source files for free. I get no money from the developer, I sell no ads and even answer direct emails from users. I do this as my way to pay it forward.

So yeah, I get it. And again, I even offered my technical writing skills and even cash in exchange for a little help. None was forthcoming.

However, I am happy now as I have moved to Zen Cart. It's more hands on to configure but has a ton more free features out of the box. All of the issues I have with VM2 were solved the first day. Also, most of the extensions are free and very well written. (The free Filter plugin works far better than the commercial one for VM2 that I wasted my on. ) In addition, the forums are far friendlier and the documentation is extensive.

It seems to me that VM took what it built with the awesome VM1 and thought it could do no wrong with VM2. It also seems that the devs were tired of the low return and wanted to make some more cash. I get that and it's fair. But stripping out features and releasing a product before it was ready only pisses off users. 

It doesn't matter how good VM1 was if users can't use it.