Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Show product stock level

Started by Lubox, May 03, 2012, 15:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lubox

Hi

Not sure if this should go under a different part of the forum, but here goes:

As new to Virtuemart, I'm having difficulties finding out how to show the current stock level on the product details page. It does not seem to automatically show this, or the available date, even though I've checked "show stock level" (from Norwegian installation, not sure about the exact wording in English) in configuration. It does show the availability image, if I manually specify it.
Are Virtuemart supposed to show this automatically, or to I need to add something to the scripts? Is the administrator supposed to get alerts when products stock levels are low?

Thanks
Lubox

Lubox

Hi again

This is a little weird. After adding this post, I actually do see the little image with green, red and yellow marking on the category page. Nothing on the product detail page, but I believe I could work with this.

Lubox

Lubox

Fun to talk with myself :)

If I under Configuration and store front check the box for "can be ordered - availability will be shown" the text I add to this will be shown on the product details page. But only if I've written som text in availability on the product itself. If that text is not there, nothing will be shown. If I update to positive stock level, the text I've added to this field on product will be shown if not removed.

This means that when a products stock level reaches 0, I need to update that product and add some text that actually will not be used, since it uses the text in Configuration. When I get new products and update stock level, it is ok to remove the text, but this means I need to update also when we run out of products. Seems a bit unneccesary?

Is this the way stock levels are supposed to be shown?

I've also tested custom fields with stock control, and with this I haven't figured out how to show stock levels when choosing a variant. It only show for parent product, not the variants. It do update stock level correctly when ordering, though.

I can't help it, but it's starting to seem like I've chosen the wrong shopping cart. So much stuff is just too weird, or just plain difficult. With nearly 10.000 products/variants, this might become hell on earth...and that, as we all know, may lead to some tears.

Lubox

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Lubox

Quote from: jenkinhill on May 04, 2012, 12:13:09 PM
See the Wiki for custom fields with stock control. http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Product_custom_fields_with_stock_control

Thank you. I've seen this, and are able to create the correct variants, and the stock level are being updated and all. But showing the availability is my challenge today as you see in my last post.

Lubox